• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Model F Keyboard

Mochatea396

Experienced Member
Hello all,
I have a model "F" IBM keyboard that has 2 keys not clicking or responding. I was told this keyboard doesn't have switches as do keyboards I'm used to dealing with. Could someone direct me on how I should start correcting this? Thanks group.

Attachments

• IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 4
There's a flipper in the bottom that snaps down onto a pad on the pcb when the spring buckles. I suspect that your spring has broken or come off the little nubbin on the flipper. I've never tried to fix one while the keyboard is together, but surely it is possible to get it back as it should be by just pulling the keystem.

Hi,
I just finished working on a keyboard like this, this morning. It's all very straight-forward. First thing to try is just to pull the keys that don't work off, and put them back trying to make sure the spring goes up in the shaft made for it. When I put it back together, several keys didn't work, and you could actually tell that they weren't "springey". Just re-seating the keys fixed them perfectly. If you have to open it, watch the videos (there are others) - there's nothing to fear, it's all very easy and I suspect a cleaning will make it all work again. The keyboard is built like a tank.
Stefan

Thank you all for your responses. I watched the attached video and that was a big help. I removed the keycaps from the keys in question and re installed them paying close attention to how the spring seats. The keys now “click” or rather buckle. Instead of going further I reassembled the case and tested and the keys respond properly now. Perhaps I had these caps all off when I was cleaning it and they never seated properly when I reassembled but all is good now. As always I appreciate everyone’s help.

Back