• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM Model M keyboards

dreddnott

Experienced Member
I've been stockpiling these at work (the good ones, made by IBM and not Lexmark or Unicomp) and was curious if anybody was interested in these.

I happened upon a particularly collectible one the other day, as a matter of fact.

It's an IBM keyboard with the wonderfully noisy buckling spring technology (much like the one I'm typing on right now), 83 keys, black 5-pin AT cable.

A keyboard just like this one (in slightly better condition) just sold on eBay for over one hundred dollars. This is somewhat ludicrous for an old AT keyboard you're not really even going to be able to use on a modern computer.

If anybody's interested in top-notch cleaned-out genuine IBM keyboards, I have quite a stash at work, and a box full of spare keycaps to go with them.

The $100.00-range has been pretty consistant on eBay for some time now. They're pretty desirable among collectors, and getting harder to find these dayz.

--T

That's funny! I have 2 of those babies, think both from around 1983 or 84. One has the LEDs and the other doesn't. I still use them on my home computers, the ones I use every day. IBM always did make the best keyboards. These both have the 5 pin AT connector, I bought some ps/2 converters so I could keep using them on my Compaqs (96 to 99 models). Compaq and Dell keyboards are pretty crappy. The new Dell keyboard I just got with my cheap-o system is SO LIGHT you have to hold it down with one hand or it drifts all over the place. My beloved IBM keyboards are nice and bulky, never drift around the desk. I noticed the other day that the IBMs also have a "rubber dam" between the keys and the insides. Looks like they are still ready for a full cup of coffee spilled onto them. I recently did just that, by accident. I held it up and let the fluid drain out of a corner then let it dry for 2 days. Works perfect after drying. I was REAL SAD when IBM sold out the PC stuff to the Chinese. They already make everything else we buy!

Last edited:
I thought the 83 key versions were PC or XT boards. The 102 key units were the AT and PS/2.

I secured myself a fairly good collection of these early on. I've got about 7 or 8 at home including one shortie (no numeric keypad) and at least 3 new in the box.

They're the only keyboard I use, at home or work.

Buckling Spring keys...

Buckling Spring keys...

Speaking of the Model M keyboards, has anybody bought a keyboard from Unicomp? They make keyboards with buckling spring keys. I am thinking of getting the EnduraPro.

Cheers,

80sFreak

Back