• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM mouse Model 001 question

greg2002

I just received an IBM model 001 2-button PS/2 mouse. I want to use it on my AT 5170, which currently has a serial mouse. I have a PS/2 adapter to serial.

Mouse.sys/.com both say No Mouse Detected. When I plug another PS/2 mouse into the adapter, it works. When I plug the model 001 into a PS/2 port on another computer, it works.

I tried both Mouse.sys versions 6 and 7. Cutemouse saw the serial mouse on COM1, but the cursor doesn't move.

Thoughts ?

Thx... Greg

PS/2 to serial converters are usually specific to certain brands or models of mice. To work with such a converter, a PS/2 mouse has to have additional hardware with support for serial. Most PS/2 mice don't have that. I don't recall ever seeing any with IBM mice, but do correct me if there were.

I don't recall there was even a converter standard. So if the converter didn't come with a mouse, you could almost be sure it wouldn't work.

Thanks guys !

The PS/2 mouse that works with the adapter is a dove bar Microsoft mouse. Didn't know that about the adapters, one would think they would be all the same, oh well.

CTMOUSE with the /M option seems does find the mouse, highlights the cursor, but it does not move. I'm using v2.1, should I try 1.9? Does it replace the Mouse.com or should I load that first?

Greg

CTMOUSE is a replacement for MOUSE.COM. Use one or the other. Some mouse drivers, including CTMOUSE may go ahead and load even if it is not actually talking to your mouse. In that case your applications may show a mouse cursor but nothing will happen.

I'd recommend just using Microsoft's Mouse.com driver unless you have a DOS application that needs every single possible byte of base RAM free.

Some MOBOs have proprietary DOS mouse drivers. My Magnavox 286 does not work with a mouse on COM2 when I use CTMOUSE but it does when I used the proprietary driver.

Back