• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ibm p70 8573-121

1ajs

Experienced Member
well my p70 came today screen looks good its cleaner then it looked on the ebay listing

turns on to display error 225 can't find the error code list i found few weeks back so not sure what this one is

so when i moved it i found a rattling noise witch when opened up i found a ram stick floating around inside it so put it back in still gave me 225 so swaped the ram out and now get 221 with 2 4meg sticks that are matched so i gues i need to see if i can find my 2meg sticks witch i know i have some somewhere and if i pull one of the 4 meg sticks i get error 211

anyhow the listing said it Displayed Errors 201, 221, 301, 164

and it came with not battery but i have one outa a model 50 in it atm

p70.jpg

and so now i have a 120 meg mca and a 60meg mca hopefully i can get this unit working to get at this data
and who knows what tresures lay on the 120meg drive lol
mcadrive.jpg

thank you

i have done some diging to figure out what these ram sticks are, 1 stick of ram is 100ns and one thats 85ns witch is why it was not working now it shows 161 and 163 witch i know if u hit f1 u can get by from reading the mailing list site and have to make a floppy up to program the clock i gues

loads up ibm personal computer basic 1.10 beyound that not sure how to see whats on my drive though
5595745567_8d16611fc3_b.jpg

...loads up ibm personal computer basic 1.10 beyound that not sure how to see whats on my drive though...

You will have to run the Reference Diskette, as the hard drive attachment is just like a microchannel adapter to the system, and must be configured...

should not affect the data on the drive if theres any?

does anyone know where i can find specs on the ge version the workmaster 2

Last edited:
should not affect the data on the drive if theres any?

does anyone know where i can find specs on the ge version the workmaster 2

It shouldn't affect the data, the same as running a Reference Diskette on another PS/2 after replacing the battery...

The GE version looked exactly like a rebranded P70, just with a black case...

i know i just trying to figure out if they had any speacial cards in the ge version?

as for the software witch one would i need and what is the modern replacement of the battery read somewhere its a camera batty but didn't say what model

Some possibilties:

1. At least one model of PS/2 can't boot from the diskette drive until it is fitted with a new battery. I can't remember which one (or ones) it is.
2. Bad Reference diskette.
3. Bad diskette drive (PS/2 3.5" diskette drives have a high failure rate).
4. Faulty diskette controller circuitry on motherboard / loose cable / etc.

Good P70 info at http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jshorney/p70.htm

That site indicates that you should be able to boot from a DOS boot diskette after REFSTAMP has been used on it. That is worthwhile trying.

nm the above msg......... got it working tinkering around

anyhow looking at my batery from the modelk 50 has 1.6v guna see if i can boost some more life outa it befor i go spend 20bucks on a battery

no battery boost fails looses power just as fast as u put it in

floppy does it noise sound at power on if floppy in just spins but does not seem to atempt to read it just spins so i'm guesing the floppyies toast

Last edited:
got a new battery for it at wallmart for 13bucks and still getting 161 163 and still can't seem to get it to do anything with the floppy disk just spins and the computer sits there but does nothing

I have a P75, it had similar floppy issues. The problem turned out to be a fuze on the motherboard, right above the floppy connector. Replaced it, and shazam, I can now boot. (of course, this was after reloading the drive and the cable, with no luck.). You may be facing a similar situation ( not sure how similar the 386 and 486 motherboards are)

I have a P75, it had similar floppy issues. The problem turned out to be a fuze on the motherboard, right above the floppy connector. Replaced it, and shazam, I can now boot. (of course, this was after reloading the drive and the cable, with no luck.). You may be facing a similar situation ( not sure how similar the 386 and 486 motherboards are)

i don't see any fuses
5607666889_2d71caa8e6_b.jpg

also uploading a video of it booting up if that wiill help or not will see

Last edited:
aware i have the newer board figured that much out from looking at that site anyhow hows one test those fuese? let alone change them?

mine has h1 style floppy

anyhow hows one test those fuese?
1. Power off the PC.
2. Wait at least a minute.
3. Set the multimeter to its resistance setting.
4. Measure the resistance of the fuse using the multimeter (one probe to one end of fuse, other probe to other end).

If the fuse is good, it will measure less than 1 ohm.

Back