• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC 5140 Convertible

fxg

Experienced Member
Hi guys!

Long time, no post :) I've been quite busy with work, but the collection kept growing.
One of the latest acquisitions is the IBM 5140 Convertible. I managed to start it after a proper cleaning and finding a good power adapter [the Toshiba Portege 4000 worked like a charm - 15V, 3A]. Now it starts and asks me for the system disk. I can get into BASIC [simply pressing F1 does it] but I want to play with it in DOS.

So, my problem is simple: does anyone know where I can find the original disks? Images, of course...

I'll try a simple DOS 3.2 image to start it, but first I need to get a 720K drive on another PC.

Thanks in advance for your help ;)

...One of the latest acquisitions is the IBM 5140 Convertible. I managed to start it after a proper cleaning and finding a good power adapter [the Toshiba Portege 4000 worked like a charm - 15V, 3A]. Now it starts and asks me for the system disk. I can get into BASIC [simply pressing F1 does it] but I want to play with it in DOS.

So, my problem is simple: does anyone know where I can find the original disks? Images, of course...

I'll try a simple DOS 3.2 image to start it, but first I need to get a 720K drive on another PC...

If you have the original PC-DOS 3.2 on 3-1/2 diskette it is 720Kb anyway... ;)

The ¨Starter¨ and diagnostic images will be at http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/5140/5140.html (for how much longer I don´t know, we are outsourcing the hosting we do soon)...

I need to get up all of the information (bus pinouts, etc.) up sometime...

Thanks a lot for the link :) I downloaded the Diagnostic disk image - since I posted the thread I had found the 5140star.exe image.

I'm still trying to find the time to get my collection page completed. Maybe I can help with the hosting, since I'm hosting my own server. Speed is not much, but it's quite reliable and that's more important. So let me know if you need a mirror - I can help ;)

btw, I work for IBM - I asked around for some info regarding the PS/1, PS/2 and the 5140 - all I got was laughs :( The old ftp servers have been shut down. That's bad. They're letting go of the history.

EDIT - good news :) I managed to write the images to 1.44MB disks and... weird enough, the machine started :| I also used the diagnostic disk to create the App Selector disk directly on the machine, also with 1.44MB and it worked! I didn't think it would, but I tried it anyway. No errors, no nothing. So I'm pretty happy I managed to get the thing started...

Last edited:
Back