• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC 5150 Rev.A (Early S/N : 0101876)

But it looks like just the right floppy with the logo. Maybe the system originally had just one drive and the second drive was added later?

>>So, this exact system just popped back on eBay for considerably more than it sold for just 2 weeks ago. Someone’s just trying to make a quick buck.

Damn, $850 and 9 days to go! I can see why though, that might just be the nicest one I’ve ever seen. Other than what looks like an AST MegaPlus II card, it’s fully stock. And that ComputerLand sticker dated 11/24/81 is super cool too.

Well, it got bid up to like $1,001, then all of the bids were retracted, and now it looks like it sold for a best offer. At least I’m pretty sure that’s what’s up. Not sure what happened with the bids.

When I saw that all of the bids were gone and the “make offer” option was back, I admittedly did make an offer, but I guess someone else made a higher offer than me, which is totally fine!

Hope one of our members got it!

Next one up (0156214?):

Indeed the 0102562 bidding was very strange, was also outbid by someone who cancelled all his bid above me to my maximum bid. Very suspicious..

I don't know what the heck happened, but honestly, it was unexpected. Even though the seller clearly stated it as Non Working At first, I was bidding at a high price, but then it ended like that. There are obviously many doubts.

>>Next one up (0156214?):

This seems to have problem on BASIC ROM.
Except this, it seems to be ok.
BIOS seems to be Rev.1 (10/19/1981) if not updated to Rev.2

I don't know what the heck happened, but honestly, it was unexpected. Even though the seller clearly stated it as Non Working At first, I was bidding at a high price, but then it ended like that. There are obviously many doubts.
Oh, so it was the seller who canceled the bids? Makes sense actually, as it’s unlikely multiple people all retracted their bids at once. That’s really unfortunate. I hate when people do shady sh!t like that.

I didnt even know it was possible as a seller to do that.
Yes it’s possible. I’ve had to do it before because of bidders that acted shady (like asking me to end auctions with lots of bids), but unfortunately some sellers abuse it I guess.

Someone must have made him a huge offer for it or something. Real shame.

The $1,001 it was at before the bids were canceled would have been a damn good payday for selling one non-working IBM. But obviously the greedy seller was willing to screw everyone else out of getting it for a little more.

I looked at it again and there were 4 separate bidders, ALL canceled. I know shady bidders will sometimes target rare items to inflate values, which isn’t the sellers fault, but from what fs5500 said, it appears he was one of the bidders to and the seller canceled.

I wish I had know that before I made my offer when it had no bids right before it ended (it was listed as a bid or best offer), or I would not have made one. I don’t do business with shady sellers like that.

Sellers are probably canceling bids more now instead of ending auctions, because eBay will charge you a “final value” fee when you end auctions that have bids now. And on $1,001, that would have been a decent chunk of money.

Last edited:
So you think he did it to get MORE of a payday then? Hmm
I would assume. Someone must have offered something crazy for it.

I was really curious to see the auction play out and see what it was truly worth, as it is probably one of the nicest ones I’ve seen. Looks like it just came out of the box.

OK this is very interesting. You have the oldest 5150 I have on file and the first with a plastic speaker mount. Last I have on file with a metal one is 0122227, yours is 0122448 so that's like approx 200 machines in between. we are getting very close on the speaker mount issue. Wish we were closer on the brown raised nut PSU and black sunken nut PSU.
I think I might have everyone beat. My 5150 has serial 0100485. I'm still trying to see if anyone has a serial number before that. And my CPU is soldered to the motherboard; no socket. :-/

I think I might have everyone beat. My 5150 has serial 0100485. I'm still trying to see if anyone has a serial number before that. And my CPU is soldered to the motherboard; no socket. :-/
Yep, you have the earliest one for sure. We’re you able to get your system fully functional?

Yep, you have the earliest one for sure. We’re you able to get your system fully functional?
Unfortunately, no. I'm at the point where I'm wondering if I need to desolder bank 0 and put in sockets, so I can try some NOS 4116's I bought a while back.

Unfortunately, no. I'm at the point where I'm wondering if I need to desolder bank 0 and put in sockets, so I can try some NOS 4116's I bought a while back.
I have a complete NOS 16/64 motherboard and a cool 4116 RAM tester. PM me if interested and maybe we can work something out.

I have a complete NOS 16/64 motherboard and a cool 4116 RAM tester. PM me if interested and maybe we can work something out.
Now that's cool. Where in Central Texas are you? I'm in Bandera county. A 4116 tester would be fantastic. My testers only do 4164 and 41256 sadly.

Back