• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm pc at - 5170

bugman2112

Experienced Member
Can I get a quick idea of what it will take to implement a 16bit ISA VGA card on a 5170? I put one in a 5160 a couple years back(8bit version), and needed to execute a small proprietry program (VGA.exe) from dos to get this to work. I think I had a paradise VGA card.

I ask mainly becasue most of the VGA boards for sale do not offer any drivers or software. I am not trying to implement any version of windows. I just want to use some DOS applications and games on a modern monitor. I dont want to mess with CGA/EGA.

Thanks!

super easy. 5170 is 16 bit, the VGA card is too. Put it in, power up the machine.
Depending on what was in the machine prior to the video card, CMOS setup may need to be configured to set the video type to the new card. It should just work.

I just yesterday put a Trident TVGA8900C card in my 5170 to replace the WD 61-603235. I haven't had to load any special drivers to allow this card to perform any better, so I'm not entirely sure if any drivers are required to get it to work. The WD card also didn't need any drivers, and both have been tested and working with a two year old flat screen monitor.

No special drivers necessary, unless you're running a version of Windows.

But otherwise, just plug in and go. That's why the FSM gave us BIOS expansion ROMs.

it was either a VIP 286-12 or a early 386.
I was having a fairly serious problem and I was using a wd video card.
It may have been a KB problem.
anyway it was troublesome.
the dealer took my wd paradise card out and GAVE me a different video card
he said there was a conflict that he knew about. Thge oblky think I THINK you have to do is flip the switch to color.
BTW many vga cards work in an xt. just do not short out the hanging 16 bit fingers. I used a Tseng labs ct4000.
there might be drivers dor dos or individual dos apps like wordperfect or lotus.

Back