• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Portable PC

John D Chicago

Hello All:

I have an IBM Portable PC, SN 5240-5155, with a date code on the speaker tag of October 1983. The "unit final test" label is dated 02-08-1984.

This worth anything? Still works; I have DOS v 2.1 (original floppy)

Thanks.

John D Chicago

Anything Vintage in half decent shape is worth something, the better the condition it is in, the better the chances of getting more for it.

That's a nice item. I've got one. They're a bit popular right now, so it could be worth as much as $100, maybe even more if it's really nice and shipping isn't too much. Are you buying or selling? If you're selling, keep in mind that shipping could be more than the machine is worth and you'll need to tell people what continent you're on.

It's worth the small price to keep it loved and in the hands of someone that would appreciate the technology :) Juul hit it on the head for value, it'd be $50-100 range probably but there are lots of folks who would love one that are collecting to experience the golden days.

Great little machines! They're fairly common. There was one posted on craigslist here for about 2 months for $50 that I passed up, but these guys are right on. They are worth $50-100. About the same as other luggable computers.

The IBM Portable PC was a good machine, although it was considered a commercial failure. Most people didn't know that it actually had an XT motherboard inside. On the bad side, its amber monochrome monitor gave you all the graininess and "snow" of IBM's CGA card, but on the good side, you got the same bulletproof buckling-spring keyboard as the desktop PC.

Originally they had a blue canvas carry bag, but I've never seen one listed for sale. My favourite machine though, FWIW.

Back