• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Powerstation 220

Ah-Ha! - Sounds like a SCSI termination problem... your SCSI bus needs to be one linear bus with only 2 ends - to "T" pieces and termination at the very end of the cables...

Check for terminator power links if you are using terminators on the devices as well...
That was SUPPOSED to say "NO" T-pieces - Sorry... too late to edit...
Photos of the SCSI setup would be useful to review!

Success! However I wasn't able to connect to the same SCSI cable hard disk and CDROM. Actually, I tried 3 cables with multiple connectors only with CDROM (hard disk disconnected) with various positions - second connector, last connector, with TERM jumper set and without it and it didn't work, always hanging on 223. Only ,,original'' single SCSI cable worked.

However I found old, not working external CDROM and pulled out external SCSI socket with cable and used it as an adapter from external SCSI to internal and connected to my internal Plextor CDROM. And AIX 3.2.5 booted like a charm and I was able to install it!

Thank you for your help, especially for encourage me to boot it from CDROM! :)

All the best,
Pawel

p.s. my current problem is that I have standard model M keyboard and it's not dedicated for RS/6000, for example function and arrow keys don't work (for example in SMIT). Is there a way to remap it somehow?

1673426583632.png
1673426610134.png

Wow! - That's great... I have not worked on one of those since about 1995... The keyboard should be OK - but you may need to set your TERM environmental according to the screen you're using - I think you have built in graphics on your system - I only used the server version with no graphics and many many serial ports and lots of serial terminals with vt100 emulation...

You should be able to compile and run C programs and install the extra software options once you get smit working properly - the logical volume manager for allocating disk space is very clever for its age - but don't extend the rootvg to a second disk or it won't boot if either disk fails... and if you do use that IBM disk, PLEASE back up anything you create - I promise you it will die horribly....

Indeed, I have Gt1 graphic card. In the machine there is 200mb disk, I'm currently searching for something bigger in order to be able to install X, c compiler and some other stuff.

In terms of keyboard, I think it could be tricky, when I press ESC Num Lock is toggled, CTRL toggles Caps Lock, ALT is CTRL. There were keyboards dedicated for RS/6000: https://ardent-tool.com/keyboard/Model_M.html#Optional_Keyboard_Cable_with_Speaker

Indeed, I have Gt1 graphic card. In the machine there is 200mb disk, I'm currently searching for something bigger in order to be able to install X, c compiler and some other stuff.

In terms of keyboard, I think it could be tricky, when I press ESC Num Lock is toggled, CTRL toggles Caps Lock, ALT is CTRL. There were keyboards dedicated for RS/6000: https://ardent-tool.com/keyboard/Model_M.html#Optional_Keyboard_Cable_with_Speaker
Hmm - that is odd - I certainly had a real RS/6000 keyboard at work and I used it on a generic 386 PC perfectly - but never used them plugged into the system unit like you are - as we didn't have the graphics option in ours... You might need to wade through more of the documents on that same site for more info about it, the IBM docs are very good - if sometimes TOO step by step,

Your system will often be referred to as a 7011 Model 220, so look out for 7011 docs for your system shape, and 220 for your specific model, and AIX 3.2.5 for info about your OS... Enjoy!

Probably my last issue is that I'm unable to change the hard disk. I tried two other SCSI disks - Quantum Traiblazer from old Mac (500mb) and Seagate HAWK ST31230N (1.05G) and both failed during booting causing infinite loop with code:
- 223 (SCSI devices selected for ipl)
- 229 (a normal mode device list is present but has no entries (null list) or none of the valid entries succeeded in ipl
During this loop IBM didn't boot from floppy also.

I tried some random jumpers settings, but booting process was still entering this loop. The IBM disk works, however 200MB is not too much in order to install C development packages and X11.

Probably my last issue is that I'm unable to change the hard disk. I tried two other SCSI disks - Quantum Traiblazer from old Mac (500mb) and Seagate HAWK ST31230N (1.05G) and both failed during booting causing infinite loop with code:
- 223 (SCSI devices selected for ipl)
- 229 (a normal mode device list is present but has no entries (null list) or none of the valid entries succeeded in ipl
During this loop IBM didn't boot from floppy also.

I tried some random jumpers settings, but booting process was still entering this loop. The IBM disk works, however 200MB is not too much in order to install C development packages and X11.
Hi,

You need to start it in service mode if you have removed/changed the boot disk and maybe edit the IPL / Boot list - you certainly can use non-IBM SCSI drives in those systems, put your disks as id 0, then 1, 2 3, etc if you have more than one...

If you can connect the additional drives (ID=1, 2) while booting from the IBM disk then you can query the system to see if they are recognised (something like "lsdev")

AIX has LOTS of extra commands so it's a bit of a learning curve, but should be worth it!

Thank you, it worked, of course!

Now I have to find some serial console to install some packages using SMIT, because arrow keys on IBM keyboard still don't work no matter what kind of TERM I set.

Thank you, it worked, of course!

Now I have to find some serial console to install some packages using SMIT, because arrow keys on IBM keyboard still don't work no matter what kind of TERM I set.
Are you setting it like this?:

1673959042540.png

Yes, I did it this way, also export TERM=aixterm. I also tried vt52, vt220. With export TERM=dumb smit is not starting at all because of unknown TERM definition. As I said before, ESC doesn't work also, ALT is CTRL, CTRL is CapsLock and so on. I think it's hardware issue (RS/6000 had dedicated keyboards) and the question is if AIX 3.2.5 allows to use standard PS/2 keyboard with some magic settings perhaps.

Small update - I was able to install and configure tcp/ip and then logged via telnet. As all characters (function keys, ESC end so on) work with telnet connection, I could see how great is SMIT. :)

However I'm struggling with 2 things:
  1. I can't connect trough serial port - I configured tty0 and tty1 and they work with ,,cu'' after added some entries to /etc/uucp/Devices. getty on those lines are running (/etc/getty /dev/tty0) however there is no login prompt. Serial cable is good, because during installation I got some messages on palmtop connected to first serial port (s0 - /dev/tty0).
  2. I can't install X11:
MISSING REQUISITES: The following filesets are required by one or more
of the selected filesets listed above. They are not currently installed
and could not be found on the installation media.

X11rte.ext.obj v=1, r=2, m=0 # Base Level Fileset
X11rte.ext.obj v=1, r=2, m=3 # Base Level Fileset
X11rte.obj v=1, r=2, m=0 # Base Level Fileset
X11rte.obj v=1, r=2, m=3 # Base Level Fileset

Hi, the command to enable a serial port is something like "enable tty0" or "enable /dev/tty0" - (it might be penable) you cannot edit /etc/inittab directly...
Look for a running getty process on tty0 and/or tty1 with ps

You also need the correct cable - with extra links as shown here: The end labelled "NCS89" is the IBM serial port end for a 25 way connector, going to a 9 way PC com port...
1674121525401.png

Thanks for hints, I did all my configuration with SMIT, so I didn't edited any file manually. Nevertheless, it works now (with my standard serial cable). The solution was adding ,,clocal'' for STTY attributes (in order to not relying on modem control signals), I did it also with SMIT:

STTY attributes for RUN TIME [hupcl,cread,brkint,icrnl,opost,tab3,onlcr,isig,icanon,echo,echoe,echok,echoctl,echoke,imaxbel,iexten,clocal]
STTY attributes for LOGIN [hupcl,cread,echoe,cs8,ixon,ixoff,clocal]

This hint I found at https://community.ibm.com/community/user/power/discussion/cant-login-in-the-serial-console.

So the next step is to find solution for successful X11 installation and also to make standard model M PS/2 keyboard working correctly.

Last edited:
Looks like I need to dig mine back out and try again. I've got a stack of scsi cdroms, I think I have a hard drive or 2 stashed somewhere. And a scsi2sd v3, and a bluepill.

On my other RS/6000 (BULL DPX 20/400) I installed AIX 4.3.3. I want to have C compiler of course, however after installation of xlC there is no cc command. I suspect it is related to licences stuff. Is a way to install C compiler on 4.3.3, perhaps with some kind of hobbies licenses?

On my other RS/6000 (BULL DPX 20/400) I installed AIX 4.3.3. I want to have C compiler of course, however after installation of xlC there is no cc command. I suspect it is related to licences stuff. Is a way to install C compiler on 4.3.3, perhaps with some kind of hobbies licenses?
xlC (big 'cee') is the C++ compiler. You should have a binary called 'xlC' on the system. I'm not aware that any of the AIX compilers had licensing locks.

Hi, I found this (admittedly old) thread because I'm having trouble with my newly acquired RS/6000 POWERserver 220 (7011-220) recognizing and booting from SCSI. Hoping those who helped with OP could lend me some advice as well. My problem is similar, but where the OP eventually was successful I'm still stuck. I've tried just about everything but am at wits end (but the journey is 90% of the fun with this old equipment). What I'm trying to do is pretty simple...configure the system with a 1GB SCSI drive, and a SCSI CD-ROM, boot my AIX BOS install CD from the CD-ROM and install.

System:

IBM POWERserver 220
16MB RAM
128 Port Async Adapter Type 3-7 (included for completeness, but removing this card doesn't help)
1GB Seagate ST31230N (configured as SCSI 0, and tested/known to work on a variety of other systems)
External SCSI CD-ROM (configured as SCSI 4, and tested/known to work on a variety of other systems)

What I've Tried:

1) Seagate hard drive connected to internal planar SCSI connector w/ terminator connected to external connector. result is POST error SRN 868-099, LOCATION 00-00-0S, DEVICE SCSI-Port (see attached screen shot). I've also tried this simple configuration with a couple of other known working hard drives, same error. Also tried with the CD-ROM, same error. Basically if I connect ANYTHING to the internal motherboard SCSI connector then I get this POST error.

2) Nothing connected to internal SCSI. Hard drive and CD-ROM connected via external SCSI with terminator at the end of the chain. Using this approach I get past POST successfully and I get to the ROM configuration menu where I can view configuration information and see that the system recognizes both the hard drive and cd-rom at the correct SCSI addresses....however, it will not boot from the CD-ROM.

3) I've tried self-terminating the hard drive, no change. I've tried moving the terminator on the external bus to various positions on the cable, no change.

So I think I have two separate issues:

1) Why is it that if I attached ANY SCSI device to the internal bus I get the POST error? (again, tried all sorts of termination combinations on the drive and on the external connector)

2) Why is it that it won't boot from the CD-ROM when it is connected to the external bus? I've sourced my actual AIX install CD from the same fsck repository as the OP. And I've used this external CD-ROM drive for booting from lots of various HP-UX, IRIX and OpenVMS CDs that I've burned from images, so I think my cd-rom drive and media are ok. In a few days I'll have my hands on another external CD-ROM that I'll test.

A few pictures attached.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!!!

Brian

Attachments

• 20231017_152646.jpg
    20231017_152646.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231017_152704.jpg
    20231017_152704.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • scsierror.jpg
    scsierror.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 5
A couple of additional notes to add on to my previous post:

1) I've been booting the system with the key in the "Service" position. I've also tried "Normal". I've tried "Secure" then switch to Service after seeing 200 in the display and pressing Reset, pressing Reset twice, etc per the various documents I've seen.

2) I can run the onboard diagnostics from the ROM menu and all tests complete without issue, including SCSI.

3) When it's attempting to boot I see/hear it hit the Diskette drive first, then see the hard drive's LED blink a few times, but the CD-ROM never gives a visual indication (the LED on the CD-ROM just slow blinks steady). After trying all the SCSI devices it attempts to use BOOTP to find a network image.

4) When I got the system it did not have a NVRAM battery, so I installed one. I can't find any documentation about how to make settings changes in NVRAM other than through AIX commands, which I can't do because I don't have AIX because I can't boot :) I see where there is an AIX command to set boot device order. Does it default to Diskette->SCSI devices in order of ID->Network if the NVRAM has been erased?

Thanks.

For my own sanity, what make/model drives are you using?

I recall under Irix and Solaris there was a good number of SCSI CD drives that can't handle the blocksize, but Toshiba for example was really good at handling it.
It's also been a very very long time but I swear the slow blinking busy light on a CD drive meant a read error, but do not quote me on that.
@bear might be a bit more knowledgeable here than I am.

For my own sanity, what make/model drives are you using?
The CD-ROM is a DEC RRD43, which I believe is a rebranded Toshiba XM-4101B (SCSI ID 4)
The Hard Drive is a 1GB Seagate ST31230N (SCSI ID 0)

It's also been a very very long time but I swear the slow blinking busy light on a CD drive meant a read error, but do not quote me on that.
I didn't like that blinking light either, and the fact that it doesn't waver from its steady blink even when the machine should be trying to see if it has bootable media.

I have a SONY CDU76S SCSI CD-ROM drive arriving tomorrow that I'm going to try to see if it changes any of the behavior.

Back