• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/1 Pro

fxg

Experienced Member
Hi guys,

I recently found an IBM PS/1 Pro, machine type 2123-E81.

The unit has been in storage for years so the battery was dead. I replaced it [it has a standard CR 2032 cell] as the old one was showing just over 0.2V :)

Now, when I start it up, I get 2 error codes: 161 and 163. From what I found on the web, these are related to CMOS settings.

My question: how do I get in the BIOS? Is it supposed to be on a boot disk like Compaq used to have? If so, where can I find it?

Also, it seems that there is NO INFORMATION on this system around the web, just a few bad pictures and some scarce configuration details. - I was looking for a manual or something that might help me put it back to work.

So, can anyone help me get this thing started properly? It's a weird little machine, but I like it :)

Thanks!

Check back later. As soon as Mike Brutman reads this, I am positive he will know all about it. I am betting "reference disk" required but that's just a wild guess as I know squat about the PS/1.

I like a challenge, but I've never seen one of these and my usual sources did not refail the answer.

A surefire way to fix the problem is to get the setup and diagnostics diskettes. Look here:

http://greyghost.dyndns.org/pccbbs/

Get 'allfiles.txt and search for 2123. You will find an advanced diagnostics disk and a startup disk, as well as some windows device drivers specific to this machine.

@chuckcmagee - seems you were right; disks are required...

@mbbrutman - thanks a lot for the link :) I got the files, but I can't test right now...

I hate RS/6000 AiX 4.3.3.0 clusters :|

Back to work... I'll post as soon as I get to test the thingie :)

161 & 163 errors indicate 'System Settings Lost' and 'Time & Date Not Set', so yes, both problems are related to a dead battery/loss of settings. Not sure 'bout that model, but holding down the F1 key while booting works on many other IBM machines.

--T

Back