• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Ibm ps/2 70 386

Yzzerdd

Veteran Member
In the haul of stuff from KY, I came across an IBM PS/2 model 70. Looks great, has a nice monitor, keyboard, mouse, and is really clean inside. Even has an HDD. But the CMOS battery is dead, so the system is halted.

I managed to find a compatable battery online for $1.99+$3 shipping, but once it gets here I'll still be stuck, as it calls for the IBM PS/2 70 reference disk. If anyone has a complete set of disks for the IBM PS/2 70, or just the reference disk, I'd appreciate images of them. Not looking to pay for a set of them to be shipped here, just images. But if someone has a set to get rid of, I'd take them.

PM me for my e-mail address

--Jack

I had one just like it with monitor I sold on ebay several months ago for over $165.00. Dead cmos battery and all.

Thanks for the link. I did a quick google search, but enjoy discussing my machines on here.

$165, eh? Mine seems to work good except the errors. Once I get my CMOS battery, they should dissapear. A potential extra $165 in my pocket is tempting, as I got the system free. If i end up finding an all in one PS/2 with a COLOR monitor and HDD, I just might sell this one. Otherwise, it seems like a cute little machine I'd like to get to know better. And it has Microchannel, something I've never used!

Based on experience, which do ya'll prefer Microchannel or ISA?

--Jack

Good news!

I loaded the ref disk and got my pc going! I had to remove two cards from the system, though, as I don't have the driver info for them, and the PS/2 wouldn't boot without it.

My PS/2 happily loaded Windows 3.1 and works great so far.

If anyone has the appropriate disk for the following, please PM me as I need an image:

IBM Auto 16/14 Token Ring MC (strange it says token ring, uses standard ethernet port)

IBM memory card, MicroChannel. No noticed part number, back reads: 95F1155 C69681 BLG 3477

--Jack

The TR board actually has a regular ethernet port. I'd like to use it to connect to my home network, and possibly use it for telnetting or basic internet functions.

--Jack

The TR board actually has a regular ethernet port. I'd like to use it to connect to my home network, and possibly use it for telnetting or basic internet functions.

--Jack

Oh, so it's dual-mode? I've never seen one of those. Might be especially interesting then. Hope ya find the S/W for it.

--T

I've got a dual mode somewhere around here, an ISA, but that is not the case here. This card does NOT have a token-ring plug anywhere on it, just a standard ethernet port. And yet, it's label says, and I quote:

"IBM Auto 16/4 Token Ring MC" This is on a sticker AND silk-screened onto the card.

It also has a large IBM 10H4710/T9N56A chip on it, which I mention as it seems to be the controller chip.

--Jack
Here is an eBay listing that looks to be my card. Link

Well in that case, you won't be able to just jack it into your E-net without some kinda bridge between the two nets. The standards are otherwise incompatible. 'Plug compatibility' doesn't mean they'll talk to each other.

--T

So this isn't a standard 1MB/s or 10MB/s card? I can't just hook into my router and set my options and go?

--Jack

Dont think it does, but why would a regular ethernet plug be labeled a token ring adapter, though? Does it use the same technology but just with a different plug?

--Jack

Dont think it does, but why would a regular ethernet plug be labeled a token ring adapter, though? Does it use the same technology but just with a different plug?

--Jack

Pretty much, yeah...

The good news, tho, is that MC ethernet cards ain't that hard to come by, so you can still make it work,

--T

Get the ADFs

Get the ADFs

You may not need the actual option setup diskettes for those cards. Just find the right adapter description file (ADF) for that token ring and memory card. There's a collection of them at http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm; scroll down to the "The ADF-Download Area."

I found the right ADFs for a memory expansion card for my Model 50. I think the reference disk program prompted me to insert a disk with the ADFs when it didn't recognize the card in the slot. Otherwise, you can probably put the ADFs on the reference diskette itself.

You need a file for each MCA card installed to use them, if not you get an error on bootup. There is a bootable utility disk at the MCA mafia that will list all the cards in your machine by a 4 digit/character code plus the card name that makes looking up the drivers easy. Once you have the drivers just make a floppy disk and dump them all there, boot from the machine specific system disk you made and when it asks you about the file just insert the drivers disk and all is fine. Setup reminds me of EISA cards but EISA systems actually tell you the file name you need, MCA doesn't. I suggest you wait untill you get a battery installed before setting the system up because it will be lost when you power down. Its worth the effort just for the RAM card to work.

The 4/16 Tokenring cards cannot be used with ethernet. The RJ45 ones are kind of cool and make life easier with cabling. I have a TR setup I am playing with, so if you are going to toss that card let me know.

I prefer MCA and EISA to ISA, but I like EISA better because it lets you know the file name you need during setup, and you can run ISA cards in EISA slots if needed (try to find a cheap MCA soundcard).

http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/qbmca.htm

That is the utility software page to see what cards you have installed.

I had one just like it with monitor I sold on ebay several months ago for over $165.00. Dead cmos battery and all.

That's an awfull lot of money! Is it REALLY worth that much?

Our local band got one of those stucked in an courner. My uncle is the ware-manager so it would problably be easy to obtain it. However, I don't got space for it.

*Edit*
It has the original monitor and keyboard. I haven't noted all the disks that's there, but there was at least some disks of Windows 3.1 and DOS 6.22. I haven't tested it as of I'm problably not supposed to use it without permition. We'll have practice tomorow, so I'll examine it closer then.

Last edited:
I guess I'll sort through the stash and see if I have any MCA ethernet cards in it. If not, I'll buy one.

I took out the cards in question, so now when I boot I just set the date and time and away I go. The system has been on for a few hours as I mess with it here and there, and just as a general burn-in. No problems yet, seems like a good sturdy and reliable system I shall keep for myself.

I'll look in to getting that RAM driver, probably wont mess with the TR card, though. Won't worry about it too much until the end of the week, when I am expecting the new battery in.

--Jack

I've got a dual mode somewhere around here, an ISA, but that is not the case here. This card does NOT have a token-ring plug anywhere on it, just a standard ethernet port. And yet, it's label says, and I quote:

"IBM Auto 16/4 Token Ring MC" This is on a sticker AND silk-screened onto the card.

It also has a large IBM 10H4710/T9N56A chip on it, which I mention as it seems to be the controller chip.

--Jack
-----------
I think you're missing the point: that is NOT an "ethernet port," it is an RJ-45 jack which was used for both ethernet AND token ring networks, as well as some RS-232 networks, certain telephone applications etc. etc.; a 2-prong AC plug does not mean a kettle is a toaster. Token ring networks could of course also use the bipolar IBM connector, just as ethernet nets could also use coax BNC connectors (which is probably what you mean by a "dual-mode" card).

I am about as confused as can be regarding this IBM PS/2. I took out the battery last night, so I could look at the model numbers as I poked around online. Well anyhow, the PC has been on all day now. Earlier I clicked it off, but then a few minutes later decided to turn it back on as I was going to try a game on it. Reference disk in hand, I waited for the error code...nothing. It started MS-DOS and then Windows no problem. The time and date are even retained! Is there a seperate chargable battery underneath the HDD plate or something?

--Jack

Back