• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 70 HDD problems

Yzzerdd

Veteran Member
OK, so I've got my IBM PS/2 70-386 running, right? Well I had it running for an hour before I attended to it, but everything was fine once I got to it. I exit Windows 3.11, and go to DOS to install Partition Magic. I was bored and kinda felt like installing something. Well I get 100% through and it asks me if I want to open the read me file. I click "no." It doesn't click so I click it like 10 times, then I finally just press enter for "yes" on the keyboard and get nothing. Great, it froze. CTRL ALT DEL(universal *Fu**) combo) and still get nothing. So turn it off, wait a few minutes, and turn it back on. Err 10483 is displayed, and when it is the HDD spins down a bit and then continues spinning.
10483 * PS/2 - controller reset failure (on POST - (8555-061 HDSK not at speed (st-177I stiction) IBM warrenty)
10483 * PS/2 - controller (drv sel 0 - config/stat bad)

Another two restarts brings no avail, so I am now running tests off the floppy drive. Anyone know a fix or why this has happened? Happen to anyone else?

--Ryan

NOTE: The spinning down the HDD makes is the exact same as when you restart the unit. Possible reset signal stuck?
Let it also be known that during the wait for the error code to come up, a swift smack to the unit will make the HDD load the information to test the RAM that is on the expansion board. The error comes up the very moment I smack the computer. Hmmm?

Last edited:
I take it you have no spare controllers? I wouldn't keep trying, it may damage the hard drive if you do.

Statement of the obvious but something died here. At least it was not alone when the end came. I don't know anyone who does board level repairs on microchannel controllers, but I guess you could attempt to check the voltages, etc.

I take it you have no spare controllers? I wouldn't keep trying, it may damage the hard drive if you do.

Statement of the obvious but something died here. At least it was not alone when the end came. I don't know anyone who does board level repairs on microchannel controllers, but I guess you could attempt to check the voltages, etc.

In this case of "DBA-ESDI" (Direct Bus Attachment) all of the controller electronics are on the drive itself. I've swapped circuitboards and platter assemblies to get some of these drives working before, but it is a crapshoot. The OP at least gave an indication of drive size (the 60Mb drives are lass inclined to have troubles than the 30Mb horror stories, but the larger size of the 120 and 160Mb are the best), and my advise is to seek out one of the 160Mb drives for replacement - better reliability and more space "to boot".

Back