• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM ps/2 8580-001 CMOS & Drive Issue

TechNut

Good Morning all,
I have an IBM ps/2 8580-001 CMOS & Drive Issue. Kind of in a catch 22 situation. Had a series of power outages in San Antonio recently with our big freeze. After this it appears that we have a bad memory board and I cannot get into the CMOS to reconfigure. 110 00000 (S) Error. I cannot get it to load the resource disk from a floppy drive. I have recapped the drive but it will still come up with the 110 00000 (S) error when trying to load the resource disk. I can start the system without the resource disk but have a 165 error and then hit F1 and it goes to the menu.
I have also tried the Floppy adapter to use the more modern floppy drive but I get the same results as using the recapped drive...
I am wondering if the CMOS is corrupted any insights?

"A" bad memory board, do you have 2? Try swapping them in the sockets. The first 64KB (nearest the PSU) is crucial to POST operation. If you mean on a memory expansion adapter, try removing it temporarily.

Yes, I have done both of those already, I have also swapped memory modules from another unit and also swapped the Memory boards that are on the main board with the same results. I think that I may have a motherboard issue.

I can start the system without the resource disk but have a 165 error and then hit F1 and it goes to the menu.

"the menu"? Which menu, HD boot menu or ROM BASIC? I'm not aware of any other possibilities, if it won't boot from the RefDisk in the A: drive.

We have successfully used Goteks with FlashFloppy firmware plus 4GB USB sticks and adapter cables between the ribbon cable and Gotek drive.
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy
IMAG0504_small.jpg

Last edited:
Back