• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 Model 25 not reading floppies

That's how MCGA works. ;) It only has 64K VRAM, so 640x480 will only produce 1-bit monochrome. That's MCGA for you. That's why I modded my model 25 with VGA, so I could use 16 colors (or shades of grey in my case) in 640x480. (Except I later realized I installed a video controller that did 32k colors in 640x480 mode, which is amazing to load photos on).

I'd be happy with 320x240 @ 256 :p

IIRC someone did this once (hacked a driver and Windows to get 320x200x256). It wasn't usable other than for laughs.

Windows on a Model 25 in 640x480x2 MCGA mode is "cute". It's like IBM saying, "Look, we can be a Mac too!"

Install Geoworks Ensemble on your PS/2 Model 25 if you want a much more usable and pretty GUI experience. It's not Windows, but that's a good thing: Way faster, better interface, and all screen and printer output is essentially "display postscript". It's an interesting window into an alternative universe where Microsoft didn't use shady business practices to muscle out competitors.

IIRC someone did this once (hacked a driver and Windows to get 320x200x256). It wasn't usable other than for laughs.

Windows on a Model 25 in 640x480x2 MCGA mode is "cute". It's like IBM saying, "Look, we can be a Mac too!"

Install Geoworks Ensemble on your PS/2 Model 25 if you want a much more usable and pretty GUI experience. It's not Windows, but that's a good thing: Way faster, better interface, and all screen and printer output is essentially "display postscript". It's an interesting window into an alternative universe where Microsoft didn't use shady business practices to muscle out competitors.
I'm quite impressed with how usable Geoworks is, even on my VGA modded model 25, you'd think it'd go slower, but nope, just as fast. And somehow, it PAGES to the disk when RAM runs low, something you really don't often see on an 8086, so if you have an XT-IDE and good flash storage, it's pretty speedy.

How did you change the capacitors :confused: :confused: :confused: The leads are so tiny and close to each other, do you need an extra small soldering iron? How do you remove the solder? Am I just not skilled enough? It seems impossible to do with my current soldering iron and solder sucker.

Back