• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 model 30 286 upgrade question

Yeah I saw one on eBay for a buck fifty. That's a pretty penny. Without popping the case on my mod 30 does it replace the 286 chip? How exactly does it plug in to the 286 mobo?

Does this upgrade "HyperACE SX (M30)" plug into th existing 286 socket?

It does.

Are you saying you'd consider selling it or just showing the pics/info about it? Nice to know about it; I'll search the web for this cool piece.

Thanks

:) I'm saying that while I'm not actively looking to sell it, it could be bought. So, yes, I would consider selling it.

Yesterday I installed an ATi Mach64 video card to my 30-286 and the system wouldn't even POST. In fact, the memory test never even appeared. Does anyone have any ideas why that is? I just bought the card and the seller tested it prior to shipping. Unfortunately I don't have another system with ISA slots to validate it myself.

hello.. Mach32 works well in 8bit slot - i also did try mach64 in 8 bit slot , but did not get it working..
/cimonvg

My goal is to upgrade the video on the Model 30-286 to XGA or even SVGA in DOS and possibly even Windows 3.X. Is this even possible and if so, what video card would you recommend?

My goal is to upgrade the video on the Model 30-286 to XGA or even SVGA in DOS and possibly even Windows 3.X. Is this even possible and if so, what video card would you recommend?

I recommend SVGA (with ISA) card, because your PS/2 Model 30-286 have 16bit ISA card only (No MCA).
But XGA is for MCA only, so you can't use XGA with Model 30-286

P.S. By the way, I want to know your BIOS ROM chip number or BIOS date of PS/2 30-286

Last edited:
fs5500, agreed but I found that not all ISA SVGA cards work. For example, I have a Mach64 card that I learned requires a 386 processor or better.

fs5500, agreed but I found that not all ISA SVGA cards work. For example, I have a Mach64 card that I learned requires a 386 processor or better.
If you want to trade the Mach64 for a 1MB VGA card that is 286 compatible let me know and I'll have a look to see what I have.

If you had an 80287 math-co I presume you had to remove it?
Why is that?

Hello Iowen.

There was one on eBay (HyperACE SX). The seller wanted $150.00 for it. Last night I decided to offer $100 since his item was about to end, and I never thought in a million years they'd accept - they did, so I bought it.

My question is do you have any documentation for these add-on boards? Or have a link where I can find some info on this board? I'll check this sites documentation links. Eh guess I'm getting lazy. ;-)

Thanks!

Hello.

I bought one of these off eBay; installed the upgrade; it works. However when I ran Norton "sysinfo" it showed the CPU speed at 3.6. I said huh?!?! I booted up another Mod 30/286 and Norton showed it at 5.6. So what's up with this being an upgrade?!?! I made sure I turned switch 4 to On per the board itself inside the PLCC socket for the 386SX co.

Any ideas? What exactly should the switches be set to?

Thanks

Did you install the driver software? The HyperAce SX includes 64K of cache, and it will need a driver to enable the cache, or else the performance will not be nearly as good as it should.

No I didn't install software because unfortunately I didn't get any with it - just the card. Do you know what the driver name is? Or do you have it you can email me?

When I search I keep getting info on old terminal software.

When I get the time to look I'll check to see what is on the drive in my 30/286, once I put the HyperACE back in it. I'm glad you were able to get that one on eBay; as I have mentioned via PM to a few folks I'm not exactly looking to sell it, but a high enough offer would likely not get turned down (where 'high enough' would change from day to day based on the mood of the day and whether I'm in a retro/nostalgia mood or not..... ) :)

486slc2.jpg

Another cpu upgrade for the Model 30-286. This one has a 486SLC2 running at 50 MHz

hello (not me selling) one on ebay, 486slc looks like this :
www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-54G1045-486SLC2-Processor-card-/282048045484
/cimonvg

Back