• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 model 30 286 upgrade question

oblivion

Veteran Member
two questions one the model 30 286

1) I know it uses special IBM PS/2 ram but anyone know if its the same ram the PS/2 model 50 uses? I have a model 50 tucked away somewhere but it has a full 4mb and my model 30 has 1mb. if its the same ram type I'll dig it out and swap them since I don't use the model 50

2) is the CPU in the model 30 upgradable? I think the 10mhz 286 is socketed, I wouldn't mind throwing in a 16mhz 286 if that's doable.

1) the 50Z uses 30 pin simms that "should" work in a 30-286, the 50 uses a single 72 pin.
2) possibly, but you would also need to desolder the 20mhz crystal and replace that, and I doubt if faster speeds will be entirely stable.

2) is the CPU in the model 30 upgradable? I think the 10mhz 286 is socketed, I wouldn't mind throwing in a 16mhz 286 if that's doable.

There was at least one 386SX upgrade for the 30/286, the HyperACE SX (M30). I have a 25MHz unit with a Cyrix FasMath chip in the 387SX socket. If you're interested in photos, I can do that, although it will probably be Monday.

There was at least one 386SX upgrade for the 30/286, the HyperACE SX (M30). I have a 25MHz unit with a Cyrix FasMath chip in the 387SX socket. If you're interested in photos, I can do that, although it will probably be Monday.

that thing must be pretty rare. oh well looks like I'm stuck with the old 10mhz 286

486slc2.jpg

Another cpu upgrade for the Model 30-286. This one has a 486SLC2 running at 50 MHz

Do either of you guys mind if I use those images for a blog post I'm writing?

I don't mind you using my photos; just put an attribution to 'user lowen at the vintage-computer.com forums' with them.

EDIT: and please PM the link to the post; I'm interested in reading it.

Last edited:
heres a recent question I saw someone asked over at Vogons but no one answered so I'll give it a whirl here.

are there any options for a hard drive upgrade? I know a IDE or SCSI controller will work because of the ISA slots but the PSU has no molex power connectors to power the replacement drive. Only thing I can think of is possibly a hardcard. I'm not sure a PSU replacement will work or fit not to mention the switch situation.

You could always cobble together your own PSU. Just rip the innards out of the existing PSU and replace it with a generic AT PSU. If an AT PSU is unavailable, you can use an ATX PSU with a bit more modding work.

I've had to cobble together PSUs of all sorts for proprietary machines that didn't have replacements available, or were too weak to power the system after an upgrade.

are there any options for a hard drive upgrade? I know a IDE or SCSI controller will work because of the ISA slots but the PSU has no molex power connectors to power the replacement drive. Only thing I can think of is possibly a hardcard. I'm not sure a PSU replacement will work or fit not to mention the switch situation.
I have a Quantum EZ 170 hardcard if that's of interest.

attachment.php

It's in excellent working condition.

Attachments

• P3020104.jpg
    P3020104.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2

My 30/286 that had the PowerACE had a 540MB Maxtor SCSI hardcard in it as well.

heres a recent question I saw someone asked over at Vogons but no one answered so I'll give it a whirl here.

I spliced the power leads for the system board and installed a molex connector, then installed a TMC-841 SCSI card (mine's a PS/2 model 25, but they are quite similar to the 30's). I am personally a big fan of SCSI since it's so versatile, I can hook up CD-ROM's, removable drives (Zip, Jaz, etc...), or Hard Drives and expand much further beyond that the PS/2 can hold internally.

You could also get power from a custom built cable to the onboard hard drive controller plug (which has integrated power on it), though I do not know the pinout for it off hand.

Hello. Could you unplug the native hard drive and make an IDE or SCSI drive bootable? What would it take to do that? Thanks.

Does this upgrade "HyperACE SX (M30)" plug into th existing 286 socket?

Are you saying you'd consider selling it or just showing the pics/info about it? Nice to know about it; I'll search the web for this cool piece.

Thanks

Back