• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 Model 55SX will not boot after replacing Dallas chip!

brad162

Experienced Member
hey, so i purchased two new dallas chips for my 55sx and model 30 since my soldering skills kind of suck

The chip went in perfectly, and seems to have the same pins (have not quite looked at the layout), but now the computer refuses to boot from the hard drive, even though i can see it and access it when booting from a floppy.

http://www.computercraft.com/docs/55noboot.html

I have tried the "debug" command from the website above, but all i keep getting is "^Error" returned

Any suggestions would be amazing.

The PC is now keeping time and seems to be keeping it's config when i boot from the reference disk, what could be causing this?

well that worked to clear the CMOS, but still no HDD boot.. i might stick the old Dallas chip in and see if it boots from that even though the battery is dead.

I might have picked up the wrong one?

Are you sure the hard drive is actually bootable? Perhaps the operating system on it is corrupted or incomplete?

If it is (or should be), try the DEBUG script again. I've had to use it with re-energized Dallas modules as well...my guess is that some or all of the battery backed memory is not guaranteed to be in a totally valid state on a new or re-enlivened module.

After you cleared the CMOS memory, did you run the IBM Reference Disk again? Seems to me that I had to do that to get mine to boot (but it's been a while).

Back