• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 Model 56 (8556-045) trouble, NVRAM/CPU?

deck

Hi ya! New to the forum. Just got this beast, probably been sitting unused for 25+ years. After some hassle it booted up fine with a new CMOS battery and even starts Windows 3.11 installed on the SCSI drive.

However, if I shut down the power and start it again (after ctrl-alt-del reset it works), the error code 00017100 comes, which I believe is; "00017100 (Fatal) - on a 90 or 95 means Rolling bit test failure on CMOS shutdown address byte"

It won't start again unless I completely drain the CMOS without the battery, after which it does start (both with the battery and without it) until I take the power out and the same error comes. When running the BIOS system check, it says; "Slot 0 System Unit - Type # F826 Error code = 00010400", which I believe is "000104XX on a 90 or 95 means System Board"

Any ideas? Could it be the Dallas DS1285Q NVRAM / real time clock, or maybe even the CPU (386SX-20MHz) itself?

Finally managed to solve my problem after I got the new Dallas 1285Q chip and a friend of mine changed it. The dreaded 17100 did still come even with the new chip but after taking it off and soldering back in a few times the PC started to work perfectly. So in the end I'm not sure if the culprit was a bad solder joint or the chip itself.

Back