• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM S/390 at the RICM

m_thompson

Veteran Member
The Rhode Island Computer Museum just received a donated IBM S/390 Multiprise 2000 Type 2003 system from the RI Department of Labor and Training.

We have not determined which or how many processors are in the system. Let us know if you know how to do this without powering up the system.

We didn't get the Hardware Management Console with the system, so we will need to assemble a PC with a Token Ring adapter running OS/2, and then load the special S/390 management software. Everything is controlled by the HMC, so we can't even power it on.

We didn't get the disk drives, but we should get the metal cassettes that hold the drives. The drives are 18GB SCSI, and it will hold 32 of them. We got one 9-track tape drive with the system and will get another. We will also get three juke-box tape drives and a communications controller.

http://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home/equipment/ibm-system390

Dave,

Thanks for the link.

We didn't get the manuals with the machine. There is nearly nothing for documentation on the Multiprise 2000 systems in the IBM www sites.

I assume that you didn't get any software either, and you will as you say need the HMC and so the HMC software to even power it up...
... and I am not sure that even came as a separate CD. I couldn't find it for download anywhere...

Getting something to run on that might be fun!. I guess it might run some of the early zLinux releases...

I found nine manuals in the IBM Publications Center, but as the URLS have session markers in they won't work if I post them here and you will have to find them yourselves.

http://www-05.ibm.com/e-business/linkweb/publications/servlet/pbi.wss

choose your country and then choose "search for publications" from the panel at the left (not the link at the top of the page)

go to advanced search and put in "multiprise 2000", choose "exact phrase" in the drop down and also select "only online publications" as you can no longer order paper manuals.

You should get nine hits, which you can view on-line or download as a ".boo" file. You need the IBM Softcopy Reader for Windows to view these which you get from here:-

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24001220

Personally I would download the manuals and view locally. There is probably a copy of "Bookmanager Read fo OS/2" on the HMC software CD...

The docs say that it normally runs on only 2 of the 3-phase input, so maybe we can just feed it 115/220 2-phase. It only needs 6 Amps of 220, so that should not be a challenge. I picked up the same model PC that was used as the Service Element. We need to find a 230 MB optical disk drive to go in the Service Element. We need a minimum of 4x 9GB SCSI disks. I am not sure if they have special microcode, or are the same as used in workstations. Even with all of the right equipment, we may not be able to do much without some of the license files for the system. We are investigating that now.

NeXT,

I swapped a bunch of email with Mike. His system is like the upper half of our system. His has a CDROM and 4mm DAT next to the SCSI disk cage. Our Multiprise 2000 has the places for the CDROM and 4mm DAT, but the drives and the SCSI controller are not installed.

Back