• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm vs mac

Woz is the nice one, I exchanged email with him once. Jobs is a money hoarding cheater, but without him, (and with Scully) were would Apple be? Dead.

Its not wether you live or die (computer companies), but if you make something usefull and unique. The only thing unique about Apple today is its OS, which I could care less about.

Its not wether you live or die (computer companies), but if you make something usefull and unique. The only thing unique about Apple today is its OS, which I could care less about.

True enough, essentially a PC and a MAC are more or less identical, only difference now is the OS...

True enough, essentially a PC and a MAC are more or less identical, only difference now is the OS...
I'm really unfamiliar with macs (read ignorant) and don't know what's in the newer models. Do they have an x86 achitecture? I just can't believe that I could stick in a Linux, or perhaps Minix3 CD and boot. That couldn't happen could it?

I'm really unfamiliar with macs (read ignorant) and don't know what's in the newer models. Do they have an x86 achitecture? I just can't believe that I could stick in a Linux, or perhaps Minix3 CD and boot. That couldn't happen could it?

I know people with x86 macs that have installed windows XP and many flavors of linux on them instead of OSX.

... And all was done with cryptic text: no pictures like the Mac. And developers were free to develop almost any program structure they liked. Then came Windows which gave users a picture of the cryptic DOS structure. Now we have access to Windows 95 which abandons much of the old DOS structure, requires common program features and allows up to 256 characters in a file name.
I'm sorry, but I'm confused about what you seem to be saying there. How is "text" cryptic? I'm using it now and probably everyone who reads this, knows what I'm saying.

And in what way does DOS have a "cryptic" structure? It is the same basic structure as MS-Windows, Unix/Linux, and others. If you don't believe me, fire up a DOS machine and type "tree". See? It even gives the user a nice picture of the "cryptic" DOS structure.

I know people with x86 macs that have installed windows XP and many flavors of linux on them instead of OSX.
Well! Now that is interesting. So in a couple of years when these machines show up for cheap, I won't be trying to avoid them like I have macs in the past. Not that I didn't think they were good - just that I didn't want to go there. Now I might.

DOS filesystem

DOS filesystem

What happened to the original marshtric post, anyway ?
marshtric said...Now we have access to Windows 95 which abandons much of the old DOS structure

Actually, W95 just adds the VFAT to the FAT file system. If the drive is small enough, older version of DOS can understand it perfectly well, except of course the LFN's without some help. Even FAT32 isn't that different, it just uses bigger tables. So the old DOS structure was very much alive all the way up to XP.

patscc

Here is a cool side by side compare of the IBM PC and the MAC.. I have to give one to the MAC it was the 1st mass made computer with a windows like interface, and did some pretty cool stuff for 1984....

Hmmn, wasn't it t'other way round? Windows was the first mass-market Mac-like interface...or sum'n like dat...I'm sooo confuzed...

--T

Hmmn, wasn't it t'other way round? Windows was the first mass-market Mac-like interface...or sum'n like dat...I'm sooo confuzed...

--T

Did Xerox keep a patent on the Gui and Mouse interface technologies before leasing it to Apple? How did Mickeysoft get their hands on the technology?

patscc: What happened to the original marshtric post, anyway ?
I think all his posts got deleted because he was really here to sell portable lecturns and indoor fountains. Actually very strange since vintage computer buffs are not known to be major consumers of those items! ... or am I wrong about that. :) I realized afterwards that it was a mistake for me to respond to his worthless posts.

I don't recall that many details but didn't Microsoft try to trademark the word Windows in an attempt to get others to stop using that word or have to pay royalties? http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...6A15751C0A965958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all is one result for my search. I thought it was dismissed because windows is a commonly used word before the product, despite the concept being that you're looking into your application like it's in a window frame.

Sco I think has officially been slain from their ridiculous lawsuit against everyone on something they didn't even create but bought.

Anyone remember any other juicy computer-related lawsuits ? The Unisys gif issue comes to mind...
patscc

My favorite was Gary Kildall's (posthumous) vindication when M$ paid-off DR's eventual successor, Calderra, (even powerhouse Novel hadn't had the stones to sue 'em) for ripping off CP/M (Although, in the settlement, they admitted no guilt, of course).

--T

I get a kick out of the double click patent. I'm not sure if it is still legal to use the letter "i" in morse code or if you can "knock twice" without getting sued. hehe. I know, I know, the patent is really about gesture recognition but that's even worse and probably predates humans.

I'm sorry, but I'm confused about what you seem to be saying there. How is "text" cryptic? I'm using it now and probably everyone who reads this, knows what I'm saying.

I dunno, I saw some Norwegian "text" earlier, and I couldn't make it out at all. I don't even think they were using real letters...

--T

I couldn't believe the news that MS is trying to patent the scroll bar. After this many years they decided they invented it and everyone else should give them homage.

Back