• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM XT 1801 Error...5161 Expansion Unit?

Compgeke

Veteran Member
I've noticed recently that my XT is giving an 1801 error at startup, saying the expansion unit isn't working. The odd part is I don't have an expansion unit, or even a card for one.

The motherboard is a 64-256 KB and the installed cards are: VGA card, AST Six Pack Plus, NE2000 clone network card, Xebec hard drive controller, floppy controller and a 286 upgrade card, going left to right when sitting at the front of the system, with the 3rd from the left empty.

Anyone have any idea why I would get an error for non-existent stuff?

The 5160 POST determines the presence of the extender card for the 5161 by writing/reading to I/O port 210h.
Your NE2000 clone card, for example, may be set at I/O base address 200h, occupying subsequent I/O addresses, one of which is 210h.
Try pulling that card, seeing if the 1801 disappears on next power on.

Unfortunately that wasn't the magic fix, so tomorrow I'll start pulling cards one by one until I find the car that's causing the problem.

It could also be something completely unrelated. I was getting a 1790 error on a 5170 after tinkering with it. The 1790 is supposed to be a a disk error. I thought my HDD was hosed but it turned out to be the controller that was bad. I had broken off a resistor on it.

I was getting a 1790 error on a 5170 after tinkering with it. The 1790 is supposed to be a a disk error.
1700 series errors are not 'hard drive' errors per se, but errors related to the hard drive system.

Even then, a 1700 series error doesn't mean that the cause is restricted to only drive/controller/cabling. For example, lack of -12V from a clone power supply, one that generates a 'fake' power good signal, will result in a 1790 error (the IBM 5170's controller needs -12V in order to read hard drive data).

Back