• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ICD Flicker Free in Amiga 500

curtis

Veteran Member
Picked one of these up on ebay. Yes, maxxdoo FINALLY sent it after threatening action.

Anyway, installed it in my Amiga 500 and hooked up a VGA monitor. No joy.

I'm assuming I need some driver software to enable this. Yes/No?

Can someone help me out here? I don't have an Amiga hooked up to the internet, so probably the best thing would be snail mail. I'm in Burleson, Tx and would be willing to cover costs.

OS is Workbench 1.3 Motherboard rev is 6A.

Curtis

Have you tried asking ICD? It could be that the frequency this output maybe too low for your VGA monitor... Try a different monitor or set the Amiga's resolution higher.

Cheers,

80sFreak

Have you tried asking ICD? It could be that the frequency this output maybe too low for your VGA monitor... Try a different monitor or set the Amiga's resolution higher.

Cheers,

80sFreak

Huh? Didn't even know they were still around! Just shot them an email. Now let's see if they respond.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Curtis

No....no drivers.

FFV is an internal scandoubler that connects to the denise socket (8263 I think?) and then the denise goes on the FFV

As I recall - it had a DB9 connector, and if it's not included, you had to get a db9<->DB15 cable or adapter to get it to work on a VGA monitor.

Are you sure you have a correctly pinned db9<->db15 cable for your monitor?
That was my hardest part when I had an FFV in my A2000 years ago....I had an FFV, but not the db9->db15 adapter.

I don;t think software was required for use. It was A500, A500+, A1000, and A2000 (not german versions) compatible.

check amiga-hardware.com and amiga.resource.cx for more info.

Tony

No....no drivers.

FFV is an internal scandoubler that connects to the denise socket (8263 I think?) and then the denise goes on the FFV

As I recall - it had a DB9 connector, and if it's not included, you had to get a db9<->DB15 cable or adapter to get it to work on a VGA monitor.

Are you sure you have a correctly pinned db9<->db15 cable for your monitor?
That was my hardest part when I had an FFV in my A2000 years ago....I had an FFV, but not the db9->db15 adapter.

I don;t think software was required for use. It was A500, A500+, A1000, and A2000 (not german versions) compatible.

check amiga-hardware.com and amiga.resource.cx for more info.

Tony

Tony,

You are correct on all points. What I had was a bad monitor!

The Sony had a DB9 connector, so I assumed it would work as is. Not even close! Ran down (actually drove) to Fry's and picked up a DB9 to Dsub 15 and tried again. Sony still no joy.

Grabbed another vga monitor I had stuck in a corner for God knows what project! Plugged it in and voila! Amiga video on a vga monitor.

Next step, upgrade to WB 2.0 or better and add some more video modes!

Curtis

Wow, video on a vga monitor. After all that, I'm sure it was worth the effort (sure of it as I look at CoCo2 on my tv!)

Wow, video on a vga monitor. After all that, I'm sure it was worth the effort (sure of it as I look at CoCo2 on my tv!)

Oh yeah. Now to add it to my KVM switch. Of course, the only thing attached will be the video. Unless I can figure out how to convert the mouse port.

For those of you who don't know, yes Commodore did the mouse differently from the rest of the world...
209200.gif

Curtis

Or rather, the Amiga (and Atari ST) mouse is quite similar to the IBM (?) bus mouse, as discussed on this forum before. Not that it helps if your KVM switch only supports a PS/2 compatible mouse. I suppose it is just as bad if you have an older PC that only takes serial mice and no suitable adapters from PS/2. The keyboard on the Amiga 500 is not detachable, so without modding it a bit to take a PS/2 type keyboard (I believe it can be done), you need the unit in front of you and no use for the KVM switch anyway...

Curtis, if you had asked this about a week or two ago, I would've given you an A2000 3.1 ROM chip! I gave one to someone who won one of my amiga auctions! He bought one, and I gave him a 2nd!

Dang!

Tony

Picked one of these up on ebay. Yes, maxxdoo FINALLY sent it after threatening action.

Anyway, installed it in my Amiga 500 and hooked up a VGA monitor. No joy.

I'm assuming I need some driver software to enable this. Yes/No?

Can someone help me out here? I don't have an Amiga hooked up to the internet, so probably the best thing would be snail mail. I'm in Burleson, Tx and would be willing to cover costs.

OS is Workbench 1.3 Motherboard rev is 6A.

Curtis

You too eh? I joined here just to share my expeience with you.

I bought mine off maxdoo on Oct 1, 2006. I had nothing as of the end of Oct.

I had to actually start the claims process on PayPal before he even shipped the thing on Nov 6, 2006.

Mine just arrived an hour ago. Now I'm gung-ho to get home and try this thing. My precious 1084s blew up two days after I hooked my A500 back up in Sept. It was either spend the money on this thing or get the monitor fixed.

It will be nice to use the A500 on a VGA monitor. I also got lucky in that a friend of mine just gave me his old PC speakers so I have sound taken care of too.

Amiga Forever!!! lol.....

You too eh? I joined here just to share my expeience with you.

I bought mine off maxdoo on Oct 1, 2006. I had nothing as of the end of Oct.

I had to actually start the claims process on PayPal before he even shipped the thing on Nov 6, 2006.

Mine just arrived an hour ago. Now I'm gung-ho to get home and try this thing. My precious 1084s blew up two days after I hooked my A500 back up in Sept. It was either spend the money on this thing or get the monitor fixed.

It will be nice to use the A500 on a VGA monitor. I also got lucky in that a friend of mine just gave me his old PC speakers so I have sound taken care of too.

Amiga Forever!!! lol.....

Yeah, when maxxdoo delivers, the mdse is good. But getting him to deliver seems to be a problem every 3-4 months.

BTW, watch what you give him for a feedback. I gave a neutral because the stuff was good, but it was such a pain to get him to deliver. In return, he hit me with a negative. It escalated a bit with responses on both sides and I finally offered the feedback retraction and he took it. What a pain!

Wonder if we were to squirt him with Preparation H if he would simply disappear?

Once I figured out I was working with a bad vga monitor and switched over to a known good box, it worked like a champ.

Now to upgrade to 2.04 for more resolution choices!

Curtis

Yeah, when maxxdoo delivers, the mdse is good. But getting him to deliver seems to be a problem every 3-4 months.

BTW, watch what you give him for a feedback. I gave a neutral because the stuff was good, but it was such a pain to get him to deliver. In return, he hit me with a negative. It escalated a bit with responses on both sides and I finally offered the feedback retraction and he took it. What a pain!

Wonder if we were to squirt him with Preparation H if he would simply disappear?

Once I figured out I was working with a bad vga monitor and switched over to a known good box, it worked like a champ.

Now to upgrade to 2.04 for more resolution choices!

Curtis

I installed mine and it works fine. Just as I figured, I managed to bend the last two pins on the Denise over as I removed it :cry: I carefully bent them back straight and installed it into the ICD. Its probably never leaving the A500 its in now anyway.

I'm contemplating cutting a hole on the back right side to permanently install the connector. Right now I just have the cable comming out the side expansion slot. Not that I'm likely to ever get a HD for it but....

As for maxdoo, I had already given him negative feedback 3 days after I started the claim on Paypal. Not shipping is one thing, but I didn't hear anything from him since Oct 23. After a full month I had it. I didn't care if I ever got the thing. I've never gone through so much crap getting something off ebay. Oh well...

I installed mine and it works fine. Just as I figured, I managed to bend the last two pins on the Denise over as I removed it :cry: I carefully bent them back straight and installed it into the ICD. Its probably never leaving the A500 its in now anyway.

I'm contemplating cutting a hole on the back right side to permanently install the connector. Right now I just have the cable comming out the side expansion slot. Not that I'm likely to ever get a HD for it but....

As for maxdoo, I had already given him negative feedback 3 days after I started the claim on Paypal. Not shipping is one thing, but I didn't hear anything from him since Oct 23. After a full month I had it. I didn't care if I ever got the thing. I've never gone through so much crap getting something off ebay. Oh well...

I'm thinking about doing the same thing on the right side of mine. Looks a lot neater than just a dangling cable. That and it'd be a lot more secure.

Yeah, I don't understand why ebay keeps that guy around. He's a royal PIA to deal with.

Of course, he'll go several months with no problems then he just flushes everything down the toilet.

I'd love to get another one of these, but just the thought of dealing with him again gives me the shivers.

Curtis

The good news is that ICD stuff is pretty tough...

I wish I had one of those for my old A500 with the Viper board...

I've got one adapter that I got with my A4000, but it doesn't fix flicker, and you have to have a multi-sync that will go low enough... harder and harder to find...

How much did you end up paying for them?

I paid $51 plus $13 shipping. That and about a month of tylenol and motrin to get it shipped.

Can't complain about the product. Rock solid. But the seller is an entirely different story!

Curtis

Hey Curtis,

I hear that about vendors...

A question from earlier... did you need a 2.04 rom? I may have one sitting around in my collection that I'd let you have for a little bit of nothing (maybe some software copies or something)

Also, one of these days, I'm going to try to get a full listing of my amiga software (3 tubs full, lots of dupes) together and see what I have and don't have... and go from there.

Back