• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IDE Male to Female adapter

raifield

Experienced Member
I've got a CF adapter with a male IDE port, obviously designed to be plugged in along the cable. However, the case I have barely has room for an IDE cable (IBM Model 25SX), so I've been looking at possibly getting a 512MB DOM to plug directly into the motherboard, but that still means getting a power adapter. I figured I'd try to make use of the CF adapter first and hopefully avoid using a cable.

I found something on eBay that looks like what I need, but the seller's description makes it sound like he has no idea what it is, so I'm hesitant to buy it. Plus it's just about as expensive as a DOM anyway.

I'm hoping someone has something to place in-between the two male IDE ports that isn't a cable. Otherwise I guess I'm buying a DOM.

That eBay item you referenced is a 50-pin SCSI pass through terminator. That would be useful if the last SCSI device on the end of the cable does not have termination of its own enabled and there is no other terminator on the end of the cable. You would plug that between the end of the cable and the device to provide termination.

Looks like the seller just grabbed the picture from Monoprice and wants to charge more for it.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=806

Not useful in anyway for your needs.

It would seem to me you could make a small cable that would take up almost the same amount of room as such an adapter, provided it's aimed the right direction when you're done.

If you have an IDE cable, you can take the connector off one end, cut the cable so it's about 1" long, and reinstall the connector. Loop the cable around so that the connectors are back-to-back.

That eBay item you referenced is a 50-pin SCSI pass through terminator. That would be useful if the last SCSI device on the end of the cable does not have termination of its own enabled and there is no other terminator on the end of the cable. You would plug that between the end of the cable and the device to provide termination.

Looks like the seller just grabbed the picture from Monoprice and wants to charge more for it.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=806

Not useful in anyway for your needs.

I didn't even think to count the pins, though the intentional blurring on one of the product images should have clued me in that something was not quite right with it.

Looks like I'll be doing some research on how to modify an IDE cable. Fortunately I have plenty of them to experiment with.

I've done a few of these. The first thing is to note that spacing on the pins on both the motherboard and the CF adapter. Some are 2mm; others are 0.1". In my case, I had a mobo with 2mm spacing, so I purchased a CF adapter with the same spacing. Both were male, so I purchased an inexpensive double-female 2mm 2.5" cable from ebay. Worked a treat.

If you're looking for a female-female 40 pin 0.1" cable, this looks pretty good.

Thanks, I might pick that up and velcro the CF adapter to something.

I am pretty amused that the seller is 'supermarket_enjoy'.

I also bought a 512MB DOM with a power adapter, so I hope between the two I'll have a hard drive in this system at some point.

Back