• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IEEE-488 cable

cosam

Veteran Member
I'm looking for an IEEE-488 cable with which to connect a Commodore PET to a 8050 disk drive. Preference would of course go to one with the PET edge connector at one end. Failing that, one to which I could graft said connector would be an option.

Thanks!

cable

cable

Are there no electronics vendors in the Netherlands where you can get the IDC connectors, some ribbon cable, and crimp them yourself with a vise and a couple of pieces of wood ?
patscc

Well, if you get that stuff here before I cut a deal........
-------
Nah, let Cosam have it; he asked first and probably needs it more than I do. Patscc has offered to make me one when he makes one for himself, and if I can find the connector(s) I might also make a couple myself.

I got a drive cable with the 4032 that I bought and, since I gave the dual-drive system I had away previously, I have a cable available.
I have a couple more local leads on a cable, but if they don't work out I'll let you know - thanks.

Are there no electronics vendors in the Netherlands where you can get the IDC connectors, some ribbon cable, and crimp them yourself with a vise and a couple of pieces of wood ?
Sure - that is my fallback plan if I can't get the real thing. Shouldn't be too hard to find the big edge connector, but I'm not so sure about the other end.

Just to put things in perspective: adding up what I've spend on the PET I want to connect this 8050 to, an extra "parts" 4016 for replacement chips, the 8050 drive itself and all parts/materials required to repair/refurbish the above, I'd still have change from $100!

I put the IEEE-->PET cable on Ebay with a stating bid of $1 and it was bid up to $103. If I repeated once every 6 weeks until I ran out of these cables (originals), I bet the average retail price would settle in at around $40. You can't profitably sell IEEE-PET cables in small quantities for $10 each, not worth it.
Bill

HEY! I resemble that statement!
--T
And I resemble it even more!!!!

All I was saying is that frugal and ecology-conscious recyclers and reusers of obsolete junk like myself are far too poor to afford your prices despite their being far more than reasonable...

You can't profitably sell IEEE-PET cables in small quantities for $10 each, not worth it.
Well, it depends what your source is. If you have a whole pile of old cables hanging on a nail in the garage, I think $10 each is a fair price compared to if you throw them at the electronics dump and get $0 for it.

If however you're a vintage computer dealer and live on purchasing parts cheap, refurbish and sell to make money, I can agree you probably need to go higher since those cables are not too common to come by. Previously I thought I was out of cables, until I saw that rusty nail in the garage with a pile of cables hanging on it.

On the other hand, I would only sell one cable at a time to fellow collectors and users. I'm not interested in "giving away" bulk lots to resellers. This has been my motivation since three years ago: sell stuff at fair (or even sub-market) prices to those who really value it. Ignore requests from anyone who comes out as a reseller.

Previously I thought I was out of cables, until I saw that rusty nail in the garage with a pile of cables hanging on it.
You mean you've found a stash of IEEE cables or are these something else?

In the mean time I've been looking around for connectors in case I need to roll my own. Looks like I got the availability of parts the wrong way round: the mini-ribbon IEEE-488 (aka GPIB or HPIB) is in fact easier to get hold of, probably because they're also used on some test equipment. The chunky 1.56"/3.96mm edge connectors are less common, although I did find a supplier who had one 24-pinner in stock.

Yes. Perhaps I was unclear in my PM but what I meant is that I can get the exact cable you're looking for, just that I'm unsure if I have any tested OK cables in my home right now.

Back