• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

If you make PCs and you’re not Lenovo, you might be in trouble

The reports on the deaths of spinning hard drives and PCs are greatly exaggerated ...

I was fairly confident that I read somewhere that Lenovo was the lead but because of cheap components (reduced cost) just like HPs been doing in recent years. Sort of the emachines of today but their products I thought had horrible returns and review ratings.

The reports on the deaths of spinning hard drives and PCs are greatly exaggerated ...
Indeed...

Keep in mind that this is talking about manufacturing and shipmentsand IBM is still very much in the corporate PC business where they sell hundreds or thousands of desktops at a time.

The way I read it, the IBM/Lenovo partnership was really just a form of outsourcing the manufacturing where IBM was losing hundreds of millions; now Lenovo has a healthy and growing market in its native China and elsewhere with the cachet of its connection with IBM and its sales force, while IBM can focus on making money on financing, sales and the support that large organizations demand and are used to from IBM.

Last edited:
Lenovo makes a good, reliable product. Always my choice for laptops.

*Sent from a Thinkpad X201*

Lenovo has been slowly stripping out the things in their laptops that made the thinkpads so nice.
I'm losing faith in them.

Lenovo has been slowly stripping out the things in their laptops that made the thinkpads so nice.
I'm losing faith in them.

I'd heard the IdeaPads were cheesy...is that what the Thinkpads are going to?

That's my thought...I don't see office folks doing productivity work on an iPad... I'll try not to get on my soapbox with regards to tablets and Windows 8... :)

Wesley

Back