• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IIe Enhanced kit...

geneb

Veteran Member
I've got a bone stock Apple IIe that I'm considering buying an Enhanced kit for. Is there any reason to not do this?

tnx.

g.

yeah.. there are far fewer un-enhansed systems then enhansed ones. thats my reason for keeping a couple un-enhansed iies in my collection. Is there something you are trying to run that you cannot because its noy enhansed? If not, if its broke dont fix it. But thats just my take on things.

In any case, keep the original ICs. I stashed mine inside the IIe, so they cannot get lost and stick with the machine, and the mainboard can always be reverted to its original state.

Something tells me the Platinum IIe is harder to get than a stock IIe, but I get your point. :)

g.
I dunno, maybe.. but its close... I am down to only 2 Platinums left. from around 10 or 12. They arent trickling in anymore. I have sold all the rest.

Last edited:
One of upgraded IIe came with the original 6502 and ROMs taped to the top of the power supply. I'd say go for it and do the same.

Depends on what you're going to use the machine for. It doesn't make any difference for most of the games, only for some of the later-era office software and stuff afaik,

Unless you also replace the CPU with a 65C02, all the enhanced ROM really gives you that you might notice is mousetext. Software that uses it will still work on unenhanced boxen afaik, but it won't display the special characters.

I "enhanced" my Rev B ][e by putting a plat motherboard into it, because I had one free out of a mashed up machine I found along the road back in the 90s. But if I didn't already have that board, I wouldn't have worried about it.

Thanks folks. I don't dare upgrade it now - I'd be obligated to replace the keyboard with another one like I just installed in my existing Enhanced IIe and that would push the "upgrade" price well over $200. *laughs*

g.

Oh I know I don't *have* to, but after experiencing that mechanical wonder from MacEffects, I'd be obligated to get another one if I were to start upgrading the normal IIe. :)

g.

I dont see why. Most of the mechanical ones for the IIe work tremendously well and keyswitches are still abundant for them if you dont know how to take them apart and clean them.

Trust me, the stock Apple keyboard is no where near as good as the new MacEffects keyboard I installed in my Enhanced IIe yesterday. :)

g.

After my method of cleaning keyboard switches they run perfectly. And I will never use these things for extensive typing so for me personally I could think of many more toys to spend money on. Im not the type of person for clean cases and lights and stuff. Seems all unecessary to me.

Back