• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IIGS Battery Good News, and hello

RFC1920

I have had my pair of IIGS for about 10 years and never looked at the batteries. In fact, both have been sitting in my closet for the last 4-5 years untouched.

One is a ROM01 Woz (upgraded firmware) with Varta battery date coded 0686 - 3V, now about 0.1
The other is a ROM03, Tadiran TL-2150 battery date coded 0889 - 3.6V, now about 0.7

The good news is that neither one of them were leaking or corroded in any way! I was surprised. Replacements are on the way...

Hello! I was never an Apple guy but got a wild hair a few years back and picked up these, a Performa (no idea why), and an Apple ][ Plus and a IIe.
I repaired what was dead and upgraded where I could - no idea on the current specs on the IIGS models because I can't recall what I did. But, both appear to have CF card readers (two different models) and a RAM upgrade installed.

On the II Plus, I have a bad keyboard so at the time (2013), I built a PS/2 to apple adapter and was happy to have a working computer after replacing a few bad parts otherwise. The IIe arrived working - boring. I fiddled around with appletalk and was trying to hack up a working version of a linux-based daemon for them before I trailed off.

Now, in 2022, I discovered Ben Eater's videos while on sabbatical from being employed. So, more 6502 crap to come.
I was a bench tech by trade in olden times (80's) but now do all facets of IT. Sometimes it's good to get your hands dirty with the technology again!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Why dont you post a thread in the introductions area and update your avatar to show.where in the world you are located.

Welcome!

It sounds as if you have some upgrades to many of those systems (i.e. CF card readers in the IIgs, AppleTalk in the IIe). They're great systems for tinkering around on.

Ben Eater has great videos. I love the series where he builds a working computer from the ground up (i.e. discrete logic chips) along with the video adapter. No better way to learn than to see how it evolved.

Back