• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I'M Back, PDP 11/40..

Hi All;
Here are some better Pictures, Without the LEDS.. I think the Leds were confusing the Auto-focus..
If you look closely at the pictures.. You can see that all of the Veritcal Sockets and Ic's are the same as the U WORD Module..
And the Horizontal sockets and Ic's are for the LEd's, Drivers and Pull-up Resistors..

11252013893.jpg 11252013894.jpg
11252013895.jpg 11252013896.jpg
11262013897.jpg
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
I have wired in 4 bits, which constitute page 3 of the U WORD Module.. I have the switch working for the first 8 bits, Once I get the next 4 bits done on page 2 of the schematic.. I not only will have the first 8 bits done, but I can address the fictional prom.. These are out of a total of 56 bits for the fictional Prom.. I am testing as I am going..
11292013904.jpg 11292013905.jpg
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
I have four wires to go to wire in the 4 switches for the first 8 bits.. I need to find some more long lengths of wire.. Otherwise, I have pages 2 and 3 wired up.. I still need to check that my wiring is correct with an ohm meter.. Hopefully things should get easier per bit.. All the wires are in on the first 8 bits, still need to check it with a meter..
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
AL, Your the Man.. THANK YOU !!
I think after some time of making copies of copies.. They got blurry.. My Print set which came with my machine is Blurry, some pages more, some less.. I will check it out and see HOW they compare..
THANK YOU Marty

I think after some time of making copies of copies.. They got blurry..

yup. In theory they could have gone back to the original archive, which was all on aperture cards and get a paper copy from that.
The 11/35 and 40 along with some of the PDP-8e drawings are all just bad in every copy I've ever seen. The 11/35 print
set I have is so blurry that I won't even bother uploading it.

Hi All;
I got the second set of 8 switches done.. Which is sheet 4 and so on to sheet 5.. Slowly Progress is making its way section by section and switch by switch..
Now that I got the Wall Board up in my Bedroom, I can get back to working on this Module.. And its alot Warmer in here as well..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I have been sick and a little busy before that, so I have not made much progress.. I got my Extender boards from Douglas and they look great.. I got a 72 and a 144 pin, so I can do what ever size board I need to extend.. I also, got some sockets for fixing my large extender, It may not work trying to take off the old sockets without damaging the traces, so I can put on the new sockets.. I don't know how much progress I will make today on wiring, as my head is still spinning on the inside (light headedness). and some from the medication..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I have wired all of the switches to their corresponding Led thru the leds driver, thereby making sure that the Led and its driver work correctly, Now back to the individual bits and page 5 of the schematic..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I just Found something interesting..
My U WORD Board is a Rev F, and Possibility that all of the 11/40 is all rev F.. While looking at my Schematic Diagram for my for my board, one of the pinouts was blurry.. And since I had Al's two downloads of the 11/40, I naturally went looking at first one than the other and Found that my Pintout IS different than either of Al's pinouts.. They Go to different Fingers on a Board.. SO, Maybe IF You have a later or an Earlier machine and get a replacement board of a different Rev Level, IT Might Not Work in Your Machine, Without some backplane Rewiring..
I have not checked any other Boards, nor other pages of this Board.. This Will need some serious investigation and possibly revamping of my Pages, before others can use them.. Since mine is a Rev F and AL's are Rev N and Rev P, at least on the U WORD Board..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Page 6 is done, 16 bits to go.. Then the checkout and see or try to find all of the mistakes and mis-wirings.. I know what I will do, I will connect to a switch/prom connection, (minus the switch in place), a wire to my scope that puts out a signal that I can find on the board (1KHZ) and also on the boards or board that it goes to and there by verify what I have is correct.. Using my Home-made sheets for telling where on a certain board I can find that signal.. So, looking at the Data Paths Board, I have RIF0 at FK1 and on the U Word Board I have it at BT2, So, I make sure the signal is getting there and IF not "WHY"... Which is Prom bit 9..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Its All Wired, I am not saying that it is correct, just that I have all 56 bits wired in..
I took alot longer than I had hoped it would.. So, I am glad that part is done..
Now to Debug and put it to use in my PDP 11/40..
Here are some attached pictures, the sockets with nothing in them running Horizontally are for the 74LS04's which are the Led Drivers that are Not used at the present.. The upper left sockets running vertically would be for the Proms, of course which are not there..

12132013911.jpg
12132013912.jpg 12132013913.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
AL, not at the present.. What I used to do was clip a 16 pin dip clip over the Prom, and with nothing else attached, I could them put in any Address that I wanted thru some switches.. But, BOTH of my Dip clips Broke the inner plastic piece that holds them in place on the IC, I have tried "Super Glue" and it doesn't work.. Of course it could be my glue was tooo old..
And for now, with what I have I am testing or going to test each Individual Board, with no other board in the machine, except for a Terminator Board, So only what signals are relevant for that particular board, will I be turning on and off, or pulsating, that way making sure that the signals I put in do actually control set signals and then do what they are supposed to do and that part is allowing what its input is to pass thru correctly to its output.. So, If I have a multiplexer that is turned on or off or passing the signals to one set of pins or the other, that I can make it do that correctly..
The main reason I put in the Prom Sockets, was not to try and take out the Proms from my U WORD Board, but so I could attach it to my Step System, and Emulate the real proms..
SomeTime AL, I will see IF I can scan my PDP 11/40 and 11/45 printsets and send then on to You, Otherwise I can see IF I can arrange for Bruce to Scan them for me..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I Think I have found my first Bad Part using my Wire-Wrap U Module.. It is an and or invert 74H53, I have just one 74H54, which in this case will work, the rest of my 7453's and 7454's are all plain..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I have taken out the following parts on the Data Paths Board, and put in Sockets, the 74181 and the Intel 3101 (74S289).. The 3101's looked like they got too hot, The 74181's so far look OK.. But I have new ones to replace them (74181's) anyway, as with the 74S289's.. Now to continue testing..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I have fixed a problem that I had before and am on track to find the other problem.. I got bit 6 to go on now, and I found bit 10 is stuck High, which I am tracing out, hopefully soon have that problem tracked out.. Found it..
The 8640 for Bit 10 was BAD !!!!!
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Back