• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Imaging Hybrid CD-ROMs

NeXT

Veteran Member
I have one particularly old CD-ROM game called Gord@k that I would prefer to make an image of before the CD finally wears out on me, especially since copies of the game have not been seen floating around the net for years.
It is however a hybrid CD-ROM so if I put it in a mac it will mount the HFS filesystem and if I put it in a PC it will mount the FAT filesystem.
Thing is that my imaging utility and my whole computer can only see the FAT portion of the disc and if I make an image it will only give me that chunk. That would mean I would have to make an ISO for the PC portion and then go over to the mac and make a toast image for the other part. Is there a way to more easily gather everything up at once and make one single image file?

You just need something that images multi session disks (like data disks with audio tracks). Try an old version of discjuggler.

I'm not really sure. Let me go fire up the O2 and see what i can do.

Edit: I can dd up to block 186147 before it starts throwing illegal block address errors and dies.

What version of discjuggler would you recommend?

Last edited:
In the old days on the Turbo Grafx/Duo emulation newsgroup, we used to swear by GoldenHawk Technology's CDR-Win Pro for imaging the Duo's multi-session discs. Hell, I was hanging around there in the days when they told us that imaging that non-standard format was impossible (circa 1998)... CDR-Win handled it with ease. Go to goldenhawk.com and grab a demo version of the latest version; I've absolutely no doubt that it will image your game with ease. Caveat: CDR-Win is a BIN/CUE reader, and can extrace DAO, TAO, or even rip individual tracks entirely. It doesn't do subchannel data, however.

Also note that the demo version is feature-crippled (writing is limited to 1x).

Long time CDRWIN user here. It should do the job, I'm surprised it can't see your drive though. It could be ASPI driver related issues, but if you are running XP it should work fine (in theory). You can also try Toast on a Mac, or a program called "BlindWrite" which images everything including subcode data.

I haven't used it for years but have you tried Alcohol 120%? I recall a few folks used to use that to copy cds and defeat certain protection methods.

I have acid 120 but like a lot of cd apps it seems more proud of touting it can write hybrid discs than read them.
I have not passed it through toast yet but I have several versions. Was it able to image hybrid discs?

Back