• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IMSAI 8080 Disk Jockey SD boot sequence?

snuci

Veteran Member
I just got my IMSAI 8080 and I'd love to send a picture to the previous owner with it working. It came with the following cards (pics below) as well as two 8" Thinker Toy's disk drives and a Lear Siegler ADM22 terminal. The drive had floppies in them so I figure the boot floppy marked "Drive A" was in drive A and the other drive with floppy in it was drive B.

Unfortunately, I don't yet have the manual and I've looked at the Bitsavers copy of the Morrow Disk Jockey 2D manual and it doesn't really say how you boot up. Do you have to jump to the DBOOT routine somehow to intiatlize booting? I'm guessing it doesn't just boot when you fire up because I see no drive light activity (sorry, MS-DOS has me trained).

Thanks.

Here are some pics:
IMSAI_system.jpgIMSAI_CPU.jpgIMSAI_diskjockey2D_terminal.jpgIMSAI_IO_PRINTER.jpgIMSAI_IO_TANDEM.jpg

After power on reset the IMSAI, then key-in F800H, push examine and run.
It's possible that the PROM on the DJ board is different located from what I tell you,
as example E800H.

However, the manual tells all what you need to know!

Last edited:
Thanks IBM_User.

I honestly still can't find F800h anywhere in the DJ manual. I did come across a YouTube video that shows bootup at the very beginning of the video located here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhj2ZNNGRp0 I just couldn't find F800h referenced anywhere and my autojump settings are set to some weird address even though the option is turned off. Your mentioning this address again and how to actually enter it made all the difference. As it turns out, I had my switches wrong. When I did get it right, drive B lit up first and that threw me off. I thought I had the cabling wrong but it was correct as stated in the manual.

Anyway, here she is in all her CPM glory:

IMSAI_WORKING.jpg

Thanks again for the pointer.

Back