• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

In need of a good 8-bit/capable ISA ethernet card...

Super-Slasher

Experienced Member
To put it basically, I'm looking for a type of card that will:

1) Work with an 8088 CPU
2) Work in 8-bit mode
3) Still have drivers available on the Internet (DOS packet drivers)

I'm trying to get an EZ-NOS server working again with my Zenith 8088 system, and my 3COM cards won't work with anything older than a 286 minimum and my other ISA cards will either won't work in 8-bit mode or can't find drivers for them.

I'm not actually looking for cards to buy (yet), but rather the makes and models of known cards that will work in my situation. Who knows? I have a few sources locally that I'd like to check out first. Thanks!

8 bit capable card

8 bit capable card

try looking for an SMC Ethercard Elite16 Ultra.

this works fine in 16 and 8 bit isa slots.

i have used one in my Compaq deskpro 8086 with some success...i was able to use the dos ping command and i got a reply.

Super-Slasher, I have a packing crate full of Ethernet cards, including many 8-bit models... The downside is that I'm in Scotland. :-/

From my point of view, that's really an upside, as it's a great place to live, but it makes it hard to get any cards to you.

I'd be willing to ship a couple of the most likely-looking ones over to you, if in return you could ship some similar sized stuff from Canada to me at some point in the future? (I come across a lot of "free" offers where delivery to US and Canada are free, but the only way they'll ship to Scotland is by overnight air mail at a cost of US$35 or more... It's usually a CD or somesuch that could be posted surface mail for $2 - $3. :? )

If you're interested, drop me an email at Peet42@Netscape.net - you tell me the address to send them to and I'll bundle them up and send them by surface mail (1-2 weeks)... :)

Peet
Aberdeen, Scotland

Back