• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Info about early OS/2 1.x versions, Word/Excel for OS/2

man42_kem

Hello.

I learning the early history of OS/2 (version 1.x) in details.
I'm looking for lost information about unknown editions and versions of this operating system.
Periodically, I'm interested in various forums about early OS/2, sometimes it turns out to find something, but more often not. But finding information is very difficult.

I'm interested:
– OEM versions of MS OS/2.
– OS/2 1.x localizations.
– Rare and lost versions of known versions (for example, I have not seen any normal photos of the Preload version, versions 5.25 are also very rare).

I'm looking for:
– Photos of disks and boxes.
– Screenshots.
– Technical details.
– Binary files.

I'm aware of VetusWare, WinWorldPC, OS2World, OS/2 Museum, BetaArchive and other resources. Unfortunately, these resources are specialized for later releases.

I sincerely hope that someone still has materials of interest to me.
Does anyone still have the original boxes or disks related to OS/2 1.x?

Best regards, Man42

P.S. In addition, I'm looking for pictures/phptos of Word for OS/2 and Excel for OS/2 disks and boxes. Does anyone have this left?

I may have a 1.1 or 1.2 around, but that's a lot of floppies! I was early on the OS/2 Developer wagon, dropped out just before Warp. Still have the developer manuals (a big hunk of paper). Lots of CSDs.

I may have a 1.1 or 1.2 around, but that's a lot of floppies! I was early on the OS/2 Developer wagon, dropped out just before Warp. Still have the developer manuals (a big hunk of paper). Lots of CSDs.
What is version 1.1/1.2? What edition, localization, media type?
What are CSDs?
For me, there is a lot of incomprehensible in the CSD question, there is practically no information about early CSDs.
I know, OS/2 1.10 SE US – XR03### (I know 3020), 1.20 SE XR04### (I heard about 4072), 1.20 EE WR04### (I heard about 4098), no more

Could you show me something?
Have you come across beta versions?

Best regards.
–Man42

You might look back through the VCF post archives--seems to me that I already offered a set, complete with CSDs a couple of years ago. That member may still be posting here.

It was years ago; CSD=Corrective Service Diskette. Most of the stuff is buried in my media collection--and I've got a bunch of work piled up already that pays. If you're in a hurry, you might want to investigate other sources.

I'm aware of VetusWare, WinWorldPC, OS2World, OS/2 Museum, BetaArchive and other resources. Unfortunately, these resources are specialized for later releases.
What do you mean by specialized for later releases? If a release is not there, that just means nobody has bothered to archive it yet. Things like magazine articles, knowledge bases, or old advertisements are usually left for archive.org. Box and media photos *should* be included with archives, but apparently nobody owns anything that has a digital camera any more. *shrug*.

I have a copy of OS/2 1.0
Just took a couple of quick pictures to upload. I've had this copy since about 1988,
and installed this on a 5170 AT around that same time !

20230311_213042.jpg

Attachments

• 20230311_213048.jpg
    20230311_213048.jpg
    682.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230311_213107.jpg
    20230311_213107.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230311_213122.jpg
    20230311_213122.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230311_213242.jpg
    20230311_213242.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 2
If you're in a hurry, you might want to investigate other sources
I don't rush anywhere at all. If you ever have the time and desire to extract these materials, it will be interesting to see.
I have the full version of IBM OS/2 1.2EE. Manufactured in Australia.
WOW!
I've never seen or heard of this a version before!
Can you take a photo of the back of the box and the first two disks (Install and Disk1)?

I've had this copy since about 1988,
This is very unique package.
Please check PartNo.
The your copy looks like to IBM OS/2 1.00 Standard Edition (English-US, 3.5" 4x1.44m).

6280196Box package
84X1424Install Disk
84X1415Disk №1
84X1418Disk №2
84X1421Disk №3

I'm right?

What do you mean by specialized for later releases?
Most of the resources/sites/projects cover the Warp3+ era, that's what I meant.
OS/2 1.x almost no one is interested, therefore there is little information, and no one is specifically looking for it.
Disk images/copies are always interesting to learning, but other materials are just as valuable.

OS/2 2.x may be a better choice. Win/OS2 environment, fewer bugs, etc.
Maybe I didn't express my interest correctly.
I'm interested in OS/2 1.x not from a practical point of view, but from a historical point of view.
My purposes can be summarized as follows:
– Detailed chronology of all minor releases.
– Detailed product evolution.
– Search for unique features and bugs of each minor/specific version.
– Creation of a universal reference database of released versions with PartNo components/technical details, which makes it possible to uniquely identify any product by partial data.

Versions of OS/2 2.0+ are very well researched (especially Warp3), and there is very little information about 1.x. I'm trying to fill this gap.

That is, to put it briefly, my interest is historical.

Well, I wrote the self-extracting disk utility for IBM's program support website. It had to run under both OS/2 and MSDOS, so a "bound" executable. They were happy with it. I also wrote a few PM programs for 1.1+ in assembly. But the sign that things were coming to a head was when BillG got up on stage and avowed his commitment to OS/2 all while working on Windows NT. Developers who had paid for the early release of the new version of MS OS/2 were extremely bitter about being shipped NT instead. It was all pretty ugly.

Personally, I'm still waiting for the Intel 860 version of MSDOS that BillG said he was committed to.

As requested :
<...>
Judging by the disks, this is the American version packed in an Australian box.
It is likely that the Australian version did not require modifications, and therefore the US version was used.
Your photo shows release 1.30.0 (7.84) (3.5" 19x1.44m). It's the first OS/2 1.3EE release.
Details:
1) The latest file date is 18/12/1990
2) CSD:

SYSLEVEL.ACSCommunications ManagerWR05000WR05000
SYSLEVEL.MUGUser Profile ManagementWR05000WR05000
SYSLEVEL.OS2Base Operating SystemWR05000WR05000
SYSLEVEL.PDRDOS Database RequesterWR05000WR05000
SYSLEVEL.QRWQuery ManagerWR05000WR05000
SYSLEVEL.REQLAN RequesterWR05000WR05000
SYSLEVEL.SQLDatabase ServicesWR05000WR05000

3) Build number string:
Internal revision 7.84, 90/12/12

4) Boot screen:

Operating System/2 Version 1.3
(C) Copyright IBM Corp. 1981, 1989, 1990. All rights reserved.

US Government Users Restricted Rights-
Use, duplication or disclosure restricted by
GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corp.

I unfortunately, do not have a complete list of PartNo of the English-US version.
But those that I know match your copy.

It was all defenately produced in AUST.....

All the manuals and other paper work has the Aussy Tmade TM on them Printed at Printers Trade Services Pty Ltd, Perth , Western Australia,

Last edited:
Back