• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Information regarding the Texas Instruments DS990/1

orinoko

Hi guys,

I am currently restoring a Texas Instruments DS990 Model 1 (also known as the DS990/1).

I have completely cleaned up the FD1000 disk drive unit, and now focusing my attention on the system unit itself. Last night, I managed to get it to actually display something..! "LOAD ERROR[]!" (where [] is an inverted square character).

Anyway, I've managed to find quite a bit of documentation regarding site installation and test procedures and sales brochures, but I have not been able to find an operating manual. The 770 has one, but while that system looks nearly identical to the DS990/1, it is obviously a different beast entirely.

Further, I have found a Field Maintenance Tech manual which would normally allow someone to test the functions of the terminal, however it relies on a floppy disk called 'FMT'.

By any chance at all, would anyone here happen to have a copy of an operating manual... and/or possibly the FMT floppy disk image?? I have been trying for weeks to find this information online, but it seems nigh on impossible.

[Edit] It should be mentioned that I do have a boot disk for the system, however it is a copy of the original made in 1988. It does not appear to be able to boot from this boot disk, however, quite possibly due to age and/or the condition of the magnet information stored on the disk. If anyone has a copy of this or an image, I would most definitely love a copy..!

Last edited:
You might want to talk to Dave Pitts. He has a website with a whole lot of TI-990 data. It doesn't mention the 990/1 specifically, but he may have some clues.

I've got a set of 8 8" floppies with the TI logo and "Property of Texas Instruments Incorporated". The first one of which has the following label:

Code:
937803-001  REV
TX990/TXDS RELEASE 2.0
DISKETTE 1
CONTENTS=TX990 PARTS
REF MANUAL946259-9701
SECT VII, FOR SYSGEN
INFORMATION (GEN TX)

There are a few bits of paper taped to the diskette box, the first of which is:

Code:
DEV NAME - CRT
DEV TYPE - V911
STATION # - 1
CPU BASE ADDR - >C0
ACCESS MODE -
INT LEVEL - 3
TIME-OUT COUNT -

Other notations are similar.

It could be that Al K. has this stuff already on bitsavers, but if he doesn't, I'll be happy to make images of these. I don't know if they'll help with your system.

I guess that nobody's interested in the floppy set, so I'll put them away.

sorry, got tied up with other things
it looks like I only have five disks

Disk1:

(ti logo)
937803-0001 REV.
TX990/TXDS RELEASE 2.0,
DISKETTE 1
CONTENTS=TX990 PARTS
REF MANUAL 946259-9701
SECT VII, FOR SYSGEN
INFORMATION (GENTX)

Disk2:

(ti logo)
937803-0002 REV.
TX990/TXDS RELEASE 2.0,
DISKETTE 2
CONTENTS=913 VDT SYSTEM
REF MANUAL 946258-9701

Disk3:

(ti logo)
937803-0003 REV.
TX990/TXDS RELEASE 2.0,
DISKETTE 3
CONTENTS=733 ASR SYSTEM
REF MANUAL 946258-9701

Disk4:

(ti logo)
937803-0004 REV.
TX990/TXDS RELEASE 2.0,
DISKETTE 4
CONTENTS=743 KSR SYSTEM
REF MANUAL 946258-9701

Disk5:

(ti logo)
937803-0005 REV.
TX990/TXDS RELEASE 2.0,
DISKETTE 5
CONTENTS=UTILITIES
REF MANUAL 946258-9701

All are stamped on the right side of the label in red:

(C) COPYRIGHT 1977 TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INCORPORATED
PROPERTY OF TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INCORPORATED

Hi guys,

I am currently restoring a Texas Instruments DS990 Model 1 (also known as the DS990/1).

I have completely cleaned up the FD1000 disk drive unit, and now focusing my attention on the system unit itself. Last night, I managed to get it to actually display something..! "LOAD ERROR[]!" (where [] is an inverted square character).

Anyway, I've managed to find quite a bit of documentation regarding site installation and test procedures and sales brochures, but I have not been able to find an operating manual. The 770 has one, but while that system looks nearly identical to the DS990/1, it is obviously a different beast entirely.

Further, I have found a Field Maintenance Tech manual which would normally allow someone to test the functions of the terminal, however it relies on a floppy disk called 'FMT'.

By any chance at all, would anyone here happen to have a copy of an operating manual... and/or possibly the FMT floppy disk image?? I have been trying for weeks to find this information online, but it seems nigh on impossible.

[Edit] It should be mentioned that I do have a boot disk for the system, however it is a copy of the original made in 1988. It does not appear to be able to boot from this boot disk, however, quite possibly due to age and/or the condition of the magnet information stored on the disk. If anyone has a copy of this or an image, I would most definitely love a copy..!

If you are in Italy then this Ebay listing might be interesting. A DS990/1 with floppy drive and some disks.

Hi all! I've been busy with life and such, sorry for not getting back sooner! @MattisLind, I did in fact see that eBay auction and even contacted the seller for pricing to Australia... To be honest, I didn't get a reply back, but I doubt it would have been all that economical to purchase the machine + a huge freight cost. Either way, the guy who purchased that unit has contacted me! It's such a small world. Let's see what we can get out of this thing!!

Back