• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Installing Tyan S1830 motherboard into IBM XT case

framer

Veteran Member
Back in 2013 I installed a Tyan S1564D into thiss case. see https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/g...ed-putting-a-pentium-mb-into-an-ibm-5160-case I use this same case for this install.

We'll start with the finished look.
IMG_0695.JPG

It has a USB + card readers in one of the bays, a removable HD mobile tray and a DVD writer.

Next you have to love this:
IMG_0694.JPG
I put the floppy drive under the DVD drive cutting through the bottom of the case. It not ideal but I wanted to keep a floppy to have when needed.

The overview of the inside is next.
IMG_0700.JPG

The Tyan S1830 was the last AT motherboard Tyan made. It was originally a P2 motherboard; however with a BIOS upgrade you could use a P3 up to 1100Mhz if you can find one. I settled on a 850Mhz CPU. The motherboard allows you to use either an AT or ATX power supply it comes with both connectors then jumper select.

The Mobile HD rack was a major problem as it was too long. Being made out of aluminum and having a nice cutoff saw left over from my picture frame shop I cut it down 7/16 of an inch. I then had to drill and tap 6 holes on the frame and 12 more on the trays.

Case modifications were extensive. Both places that you normally would screw the motherboard down needed to be cutoff as they caused shorting issues with the motherboard. I had to fill in several holes in the area that the plastic risers would use and I used custom size risers and floated the board on top. I had to cut 1/2 the bottom floor of the left bay to make room for the memory banks.

IMG_0712.JPG
I used an IBM riser turned upside down, the side holes worked and it could be attached to the left side bracket. I drilled and tapped 4 holes in the riser to attach the top bay that holds the USB - card reader.

The next issue was the power supply. The current one was an AT supply that I had installed in the XT power supply case back in 2013 but I wanted the ATX supply to use ATX features like auto shutdown. When I opened up the ATX supply I discovered it had the same footprint as the AT I had installed back in 2013 and would drop in on the same standoffs. I attached the on/off switch to the big red one. The motherboard allows a soft power switch to be attached on the front panel.

IMG_0701.JPG

It was a PC power supply case.
IMG_0711.JPG

A few more photos to complete the post

IMG_0696.JPG

Back panel has an AGP 3dfx Voodoo3 video card. Uses 3 of 4 PCI slots 1 of 4 ISA slots for the sound card.
IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG
Linksys is used with WFW and DOS, Intel card 100/1000 works with XP, W2K and Win98SE, USB PCI card 2 ports on the back and 2 ports for the front.
IMG_0706-1.jpg
IMG_0709.JPG
IMG_0710.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG
IMG_0691.JPG

And last the most important thing...
IMG_0695.JPG

Performance is not too bad. I can get 30-50 fps with MS ftsim 2000. I will be investigating using a IDE to SATA converter or a PCI card to add SATA. Those did not work with the S1564D motherboard my gut says this one might.

All case modifications were done with just a Dremel, hand file and hand sheet metal nibbler.

Retirement make you do insane projects that others find ridiculous.

For the record I spend zero money to complete this project. All items were repurposed the Tomcat S1564D retired to a box, for now. I got the S1830 12+years ago cheap, check them out on ebay today. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...yan+S1830&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=S1830 It's a great board but really overpriced for fun...

You do know that 5.25" form factor SD-card+legacy floppy units exist, don't you? One of my systems uses one such.
Before that, CD-ROM+floppy packages also existed.

I had that unit. I wanted to use CF and SD sizes and have a USB port up front. Besides I like the hidden floppy... No I did not know, that 5.25" form factor SD-card+legacy floppy units exist. Does a DVD writer w/3 1/2" HD floppy exist?

I just checked, the only one I found was the SYBA Floppy Drive SY-CRD50034 Multifunction Floppy Disk and Card Reader. It out of stock everywhere and looks disc. Checked eBay and no-joy. It would have been a cool device. I'm going to guess the SD-reader didn't work with win10. I had that issue with other readers but using with old OS should be fine.

Great work! What do your ambient temps look like when the lid is on and the system is under load? I don't see a case fan in there other than the PSU fan.

I wired the PSU fan to always be on. That PS would only run the fan when it was over a certain load/temp. The CPU has a fan and the mobile HD rack has a fan on the bottom of the HD. I doubt heat will be an issue but I will keep an :rolleyes: on it.

I just checked, the only one I found was the SYBA Floppy Drive SY-CRD50034 Multifunction Floppy Disk and Card Reader. It out of stock everywhere and looks disc. Checked eBay and no-joy. It would have been a cool device. I'm going to guess the SD-reader didn't work with win10. I had that issue with other readers but using with old OS should be fine.

Dunno--I works on AMD64 Linux. I steer clear of Win10 as a rule. Win7 is about as far as my systems go.

Win 10 is an interesting conundrum, just shut most of the crap off and it's not too bad. I run Win 7-32bit using "Oracle VM VirtualBox", in Win10. That way all my old programs can still be used.

I'm going to duplicate my XP drive this week and try an upgrade to Win7 to see how/if it runs on this old AT.

Last edited:
A vanilla install of Windows 7 32 bit will probably work, but be painfully slow with only 1 GB of RAM. I wouldn't recommend installing any patches, because many of the later ones require SSE2/SSE3 and will cause the Windows 7 install to become unstable or BSOD. I built up an Athlon XP machine a couple of years ago to test some stuff with Windows 7, and made the mistake of trying to install all of the patches. The system would never run stable after that, and suffer from random process crashes and BSODs.

Good to know. I think I'm already over a Win7 install. I thought I had an extra 20gb drive to install it in but it had a working W2K Server version I'd installed years ago and forgot about it.

I took out the voodoo3 2000 8M card because I found a voodoo3 3000 16M in a drawer not being used, what a difference... I also put in a voodoo 1 and it's working great with a few old programs like whiplash3d. I settled on Windows 98SE pack3 and was able to get full use out of the USB2 ports. Made life easy getting drivers loaded using a USB2 flash drive. I also got XP setup on another drive that I can change using an extra mobile rack I had. The voodoo3 drivers work fine in the XP but the voodoo1 driver have issue so it's not used and I see little use for it in the XP system. I've spent several days setting up Win98 games and old programming tools. The main problem I having with many old games is the old manual word protection lookup. I've found some old pdf's of manual onlline but more than 50% of the old original software I have can't be used without the original manuals.

I attached a small fan directly to the heatsink on the voodoo3 3000 card.

I am addicted to that Whiplash3d program. I played it last night to 2AM.

framer

Back in 2013 I installed a Tyan S1564D into thiss case. see https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/g...ed-putting-a-pentium-mb-into-an-ibm-5160-case I use this same case for this install.

We'll start with the finished look.

It has a USB + card readers in one of the bays, a removable HD mobile tray and a DVD writer.

Next you have to love this:
I put the floppy drive under the DVD drive cutting through the bottom of the case. It not ideal but I wanted to keep a floppy to have when needed.

The overview of the inside is next.

The Tyan S1830 was the last AT motherboard Tyan made. It was originally a P2 motherboard; however with a BIOS upgrade you could use a P3 up to 1100Mhz if you can find one. I settled on a 850Mhz CPU. The motherboard allows you to use either an AT or ATX power supply it comes with both connectors then jumper select.

The Mobile HD rack was a major problem as it was too long. Being made out of aluminum and having a nice cutoff saw left over from my picture frame shop I cut it down 7/16 of an inch. I then had to drill and tap 6 holes on the frame and 12 more on the trays.

Case modifications were extensive. Both places that you normally would screw the motherboard down needed to be cutoff as they caused shorting issues with the motherboard. I had to fill in several holes in the area that the plastic risers would use and I used custom size risers and floated the board on top. I had to cut 1/2 the bottom floor of the left bay to make room for the memory banks.

View attachment 1210655
I used an IBM riser turned upside down, the side holes worked and it could be attached to the left side bracket. I drilled and tapped 4 holes in the riser to attach the top bay that holds the USB - card reader.

The next issue was the power supply. The current one was an AT supply that I had installed in the XT power supply case back in 2013 but I wanted the ATX supply to use ATX features like auto shutdown. When I opened up the ATX supply I discovered it had the same footprint as the AT I had installed back in 2013 and would drop in on the same standoffs. I attached the on/off switch to the big red one. The motherboard allows a soft power switch to be attached on the front panel.

View attachment 1210656

It was a PC power supply case.
View attachment 1210657

A few more photos to complete the post

View attachment 1210658

Back panel has an AGP 3dfx Voodoo3 video card. Uses 3 of 4 PCI slots 1 of 4 ISA slots for the sound card.

Linksys is used with WFW and DOS, Intel card 100/1000 works with XP, W2K and Win98SE, USB PCI card 2 ports on the back and 2 ports for the front.

And last the most important thing...

Performance is not too bad. I can get 30-50 fps with MS ftsim 2000. I will be investigating using a IDE to SATA converter or a PCI card to add SATA. Those did not work with the S1564D motherboard my gut says this one might.

All case modifications were done with just a Dremel, hand file and hand sheet metal nibbler.

Retirement make you do insane projects that others find ridiculous.

For the record I spend zero money to complete this project. All items were repurposed the Tomcat S1564D retired to a box, for now. I got the S1830 12+years ago cheap, check them out on ebay today. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...yan+S1830&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=S1830 It's a great board but really overpriced for fun...
Looks like a great build you made there!

I am interested to know if you got the Tyan 1830 motherboard working with a Pentium III Coppermine 850Mhz. I am trying to do that with BIOS v2.00.02 but I get bsp cpu error microcode. Everything seems to work fine even with this error message at POST. I tried all jumper combinations described in the manual but keep getting the same error.

Thanks for any tips you can give me.

It really looks clean and great.

I imagine that it should be possible to make it even faster, when connverting the XT chassis to support an ATX mainboard.

It really looks clean and great.

I imagine that it should be possible to make it even faster, when connverting the XT chassis to support an ATX mainboard.

Easier said than done. That'd require significant internal and external modification. LOTS of metal work, and figuring out what to do with the giant power supply taking up 1/4 the inside of the case.

You can use a more compact ATX power supply. Yes, metal works will be heavy, but if you do it well it should not be visible when the box finally is closed.

You could also use a Mini ITX motherboard, offset toward the front. Extend any ports you want to rear brackets.

Looks like a great build you made there!

I am interested to know if you got the Tyan 1830 motherboard working with a Pentium III Coppermine 850Mhz. I am trying to do that with BIOS v2.00.02 but I get bsp cpu error microcode. Everything seems to work fine even with this error message at POST. I tried all jumper combinations described in the manual but keep getting the same error.

Thanks for any tips you can give me.
I thought this thread was dead, I know you need to get the latest BIOS number not known at this time and maybe a patch file. I in the process of moving 900 miles and that is where the Tyan 1830 sits. I will verify the BIOS in a couple of weeks and review my notes from years ago to see what I did to use the 850/256/100 processor.

I found a file that was listed as for BIOS S1830 for 850 in my files. Bx30200b.exe is what I copied from Tyan years ago. If you want a copy I will post it. Before I give it to anyone I really need to see what I have on the 1830.

framer

Hi, I believe Bx30200b.exe is BIOS v2.00.02, the one I have. I read somewhere that there was a V2.00.03, extracted from 1830ce8.exe, I have not been able to find that one.

Back