• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intel 386 DX board identification

clh333

Veteran Member
Bought the Intel board pictured here from an eBay retailer, working but as-is. I could not find any documentation so I thought I would ask if anyone recognizes it.
I have only a vague idea about the jumpers and don't know whether it is advisable to replace the on-board battery - which looks to me to be rechargeable. Don't want to power up until I have a better idea.

Pics attached.IMG_2165.jpgIMG_2166.jpgIMG_2168.jpgIMG_2169.jpgIMG_2170.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions,

-CH-

Having an Intel CPU and co-processor doesn't make this an Intel board.

Understood. The seller described it as an Intel board, but there are no identifications on the board itself, and as I have no documentation I'm simply wondering what it is. Pic below is screen shot of listing.

ClipOfListing.jpg

The board does have markings that seem to match how the turbo buttons and LEDs would be attached. Text in picture 5 while the matching set of pins are in picture 4. All the other pins should have text nearby explaining their function.

I can't see anything which identifies exactly which clone 386 motherboard that is.

The battery is 25+ years old. Replacing it is prudent.

That looks like one of many generic Taiwanese motherboards. Once powered up, the BIOS might identify the OEM.

Very nice looking board, I'm very surprised that battery has not leaked over everything. You will need to replace it.

When powering it up for the first time, do duck and cover just in case one of the capacitors blows. Those are easy to fix though.

I contacted the seller and received a reply in the form of a link: http://th99.classic-computing.de/src/m/A-B/30976.htm It indicates this board was manufactured by ANIX Technology and is designated MST-310M. News to me.

Seller tells me the board is configured properly and was tested before sale, so I won't be too concerned on power-up. However, I was planning to replace the battery anyway, and since the existing battery appears to be rechargeable I had questions about what to replace it with: Can it only be replaced with another rechargeable? If it's rechargeable there must be a source voltage at its pins. Would that interfere with or harm a non-rechargeable battery?

-CH-

However, I was planning to replace the battery anyway, and since the existing battery appears to be rechargeable I had questions about what to replace it with: Can it only be replaced with another rechargeable?
Some motherboards provide the option of using an 'external' battery, per [here], but I do not see an 'external' battery connector on your motherboard.

NiCd batteries are still available. You may find a direct replacement. Example [here].

In this application, a 3.6V NiMH battery is a suitable replacement.

If it's rechargeable there must be a source voltage at its pins. Would that interfere with or harm a non-rechargeable battery?
Yes. If a blocking diode is not used, the motherboard will charge the non-rechargeable battery - risky.
'Blocking' describes the purpose of the diode, not the diode's type.

blocking_diode.jpg

A recent thread covering the use of a diode that 'drops' little voltage (a subject that arises periodically) is at [here].

Thank you for your reply. I found a comparable** NiMH but I think I will replace the soldered-in rechargeable with one that I can locate off-board and maybe in a plastic bag, just for safety's sake. I would assume there is no downside to having a larger** battery other than that it would take longer to recharge?

**(size, amp-hour rating)

Thank you for your reply. I found a comparable** NiMH but I think I will replace the soldered-in rechargeable with one that I can locate off-board and maybe in a plastic bag, just for safety's sake. I would assume there is no downside to having a larger** battery other than that it would take longer to recharge?

**(size, amp-hour rating)
If you are concerned about leakage due to long term storage then a clean option is to replace the nicad with a button cell holder. They generally fit the same mounting holes.
You do need to use a rechargeable NiMH button cell unless you fit a blocking diode. If you want to use a non rechargeable fit a blocking diode and use a schottky barrier diode, they are often listed as a fast recovery diode. An FR107 is easy to find and has a low forward voltage drop so you get the most from your battery.

My 286 motherboard has the same battery, never knew it was rechargeable, probably explains why it manages to hold a good Date/Time and remember the CHS settings for the hard disk after almost 25 years (it's a 1989 era board).

Found this old thread, while searching for more info on the same board. FYI, the Ni-MH battery *will leak* as evidenced by the one I found and just fixed. However, how I need to replace the battery. Excuse the poor repair, it's just a test repair and will clean up :)
20201019-133936.jpg

Thanks Frank. The point of the post was to inform others that these Ni-MH do also leak. I did find the manufacturer, it's ANIX TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION, model MST-310M.

Back