• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intel 4004 code

Dwight Elvey

Veteran Member
Hi
I suspect most will not have any idea but there are a number of new people on the list so I thought I might ask while I'm thinking of it. When the 4004 first came out they made a development called the SIM4-01, SIM4-02, and SIM4-03. The -02 and -03 were functionally the same but the -03 used a different interface between the 15V PMOS signals and a TTL 5v signals.
I have a SIM0-01 that I currently use to read an program 1702As.
Back on the subject, At least two interesting people got there hands on the SIM4-01s. One was Garry Kildall. He had two of his students work on programs for the 4004, while at NPS of Monterey. I'm back to working with one of the listing from Garry's student. It is an electronic maneuvering board ( some may have to look that one up ). The code is too big to run on the SIM4-01 but I think it would work on the SIM4-02 or SIM4-03. I'm not too worried about that as I have started to collect the parts I need to create a working system to run the code.
That isn't the main reason for this post. The other person that got a board was Tom Pittman. He got a board in trade for creating an assembler that fit in 4 EPROMs on the SIM4-01. Those that collect 1702As or have a SIM4 may have a copy of Tim's work. I'd be most interested in getting a copy of that last EPROM. it would be labelled A0743. The hold set would be A0740 to A0743. I've gotten the first three from EPROMs that look to have most all of there code intact. The last EPROM had serious bit rot. Should anyone have or know of anyone that has these EPROMs, please contact me.
On my project for the maneuvering board, I have an assembler and simulator that work fine so don't need any help there. I'd wouldn't need to do as much simulation work except the listing I have from NPS was printed on a ASR33 with poor registration of the drum print head. Cs and 0s are often missing the right edge. Most other letters are good enough to figure out. I have to resolve the many cases where these are indeterminate from the listing.
The desire to get the A0743 is to complete that software set.
I do have A0540, A0542 and A0543 for programming 1702As but not the A0542 for 1702 non-A. There are two others that I'd like to save before they are lost for ever and that is the A0750-A0758 Hardware simulator and there was a EPROM copy program, I forget the number ( neither of the will run on the SIM4-01 and need a -02 or -03 ). I've written a copy program that I use on my SIM4-01 so it is mainly to save the older code.
Before someone says anything, I've contacted the Intel Museum. They either don't have these anymore or are not interested in looking for such things. ( Of course if there is someone that is has a in with them, I'd like to see if these can be saved ). Their museum seems to be more interested in being a sales force for their new chips and only as a side line interested in Intel's history.
Dwight

Dwight,

8 or more years back I bought quite a bit of intel 4004 family parts and some populated boards with 4004 family parts etc from USA. Inc a 4004 unmounted slice. I had started to "speed wire" a Buscom and had planned to use then in that.

I have been meaning to look for the box they are in, and put it in my fire safe as Bush Fire Season is Declared here in Victoria, Australia.

It may take me a week or two to get around to looking, but I will let you know either way.

If you have a SIM4-02 or later, you should have enough ROM slots to make the maneuvering board problem run. The code I have on github is buggy still. I found two errors in the simulator and one in the maneuvering board code ( need to fix the file name spelling as well ).
I've got the code working up to the point that I can enter the basic data but I'm having issues getting it to run the calculations. The code wants to see that everything that is needed has been entered. It seems to error out there. I need to spend more time looking at what and when things happen.
I'll post working stuff when I get it all working. I believe the simulator is now sound but there are likely problems in the transcribing of the code that I've not yet found. If I get time I'll update what I have tonight. You'll need win32forth to run it.
It is fun that the simulator seems to run faster on my lap top than it would run on the real 4004.
Dwight

Back