• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intel Batman MB wont get past BIOS

fsmith2003

Experienced Member
I have an original Pentium "Batman" MB. It will make it to the Keyboard Detected line but will freeze right after. Wont get past this and occasionally it will not show anything on the screen at all. I have tried several different video cards, ram, and power supplies. All result in same issue. I changed to two large caps near the power connectors but that did not help as well. Anyone have any tips for getting these things to boot?

I see a Dallas real-time clock module in the photo. It contains a battery. We have seen some motherboards misbehave when that battery drops below a certain value.

I believe modem7 is correct. Most of these problems are attributed to a bad CMOS battery and if it is a Dallas one, then it does more stranger things when the battery dies. I had a Quantex which faced the similar problems and all of it was cured by a Dallas battery rework. Google it for more information if you have not already.

I see a Dallas real-time clock module in the photo. It contains a battery. We have seen some motherboards misbehave when that battery drops below a certain value.
I second this. and don't bother with the caps just yet other then the two bigger ones by the AT power connector, save the rest of them for last. looking at photos Id say the caps are ok. tantalum's don't fail like electrolytic caps. they ether work no don't 99.99% of them time. and those older smaller kind of smd electrolytic caps this board has aren't all to know for going bad. But they could be the problem.

Here is what I could do in order.
Do a cmos wipe
double check all jumpers, you have the cpu set at the right speed and volts?
test all parts in anther system.
run the system board bones, cpu, video card and one stick of ram. play around abit to see if its a dead pci/ram slot
replace RTC
recap the board and check for bad solder joints.

Eek... I wouldn't touch a motherboard with and RTC and no external battery connection with a 39 1/2 foot pole. Unless this one does I can't tell. My Gateway P5-90 had a very similar Intel Plato board and it was nightmare... would sometimes freeze when saving my game in Doom (ram issue? IDK). Anyway when I had a socket put in something got messed up and it wouldn't work... I's say bin this motherboard and get a Socket 7 with CR2032 CMOS battery.

Back