• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Interest check Windows NT 3.1 July 93 Beta CD

Egad, if anyone wants to purchase betas and RCs of NT, I've got lots of them. Never got around to tossing out the old MSDN CDs.

I have no idea if anyone wants to purchase BETA or RC CDs Chuck. However, I have always found it generates more interest if the seller actually prices their goods instead of trying to start a fishing expedition ;)

Egad, if anyone wants to purchase betas and RCs of NT, I've got lots of them. Never got around to tossing out the old MSDN CDs.
Same here. I have two large MSDN boxes full of every OS from DOS to Windows 2000. Every version, every language, DDKs, SDKs, and what not. Wanted to toss them many times, yet they are still around since 15 years. :D

I have no idea if anyone wants to purchase BETA or RC CDs Chuck. However, I have always found it generates more interest if the seller actually prices their goods instead of trying to start a fishing expedition ;)

I'm not fishing. I just happen to know that I've never thrown away a CD/DVD and will eventually be confronted with the decision of dumping the whole collection in the trash or going through the effort of trying to find someone who actually wants them (who actually intends on doing something with them, not just putting them into a private, soon-to-be-trash collection).

Also pointing out the Windows betas and RCs aren't terribly rare.

I'm not fishing. I just happen to know that I've never thrown away a CD/DVD and will eventually be confronted with the decision of dumping the whole collection in the trash or going through the effort of trying to find someone who actually wants them (who actually intends on doing something with them, not just putting them into a private, soon-to-be-trash collection).

Chuck,

I wasn't referring to you. OP has a habit of posting "interest check" for sale items.

Like others have said just give us a price. I don't even bother responding to potential sellers who don't list a price for what they are selling anymore. I am always interested in stuff like this though.

All you can do with that collection is image it and scan in the disc labels. There are quite a few BETA images on the net now but probably not all of them.

Ok I was trying to get a feel if anyone maybe be interested. US $25.00 free ship. And yes there are images of this version at certain places on the net. But question the legality.

All you can do with that collection is image it and scan in the disc labels. There are quite a few BETA images on the net now but probably not all of them.

But who would even be interested? Most of the betas and RCs have expiry dates, so unless you want to play time machine with your rig checking out buggy software, I don't see the value.

But who would even be interested? Most of the betas and RCs have expiry dates, so unless you want to play time machine with your rig checking out buggy software, I don't see the value.

The only RC I ever used were for Win2k back in the day.

The value is to have a complete OS collection I would assume, same reason people like prototype hardware even when the final release was better (I don't).

I wouldn't mine a boxed NT 3.1 since I have a boxed 3.5.1 and 4.0 that I actually use.

Well, if you wanted to be complete with NT 3.1, an English-language x86 version, even with RCs would hardly be complete.

You need the entire language pack as well as versions for MIPS, Power, etc.

Ok I was trying to get a feel if anyone maybe be interested. US $25.00 free ship. And yes there are images of this version at certain places on the net. But question the legality.
As for legality, your are, strictly speaking, not allowed to sell the real CD either. Beta software is confidential and even MSDN discs with ordinary builds can not be sold. But who cares about anyway..? It's not hurting Microsoft. Well, apart from seeing how bad some of their software once was. ;)

Did not know that@Timo! I guess to be legal I should not sell it. And yeah beta software can be very rough. Ok sale offer withdrawn to be legally in compliance. Feel like an idiot now. :(

Did not know that@Timo! I guess to be legal I should not sell it. And yeah beta software can be very rough. Ok sale offer withdrawn to be legally in compliance. Feel like an idiot now. :(

Hey Frank, I'd sell it in a heartbeat. Does it say anywhere on that disk that you can't? Check the EULA on CD itself.

MSDN was a bit strange. ISTR that an MSDN version was licensed for no more than 10 seats according to the EULA. Not that MS had any way of tracking that.

Back