• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Interesting read on ebay

It sold for $340K, that's pretty nuts. Still $120K less than the "expert appraisal."

The description is here.

I would hazard a guess anyone who has $340K to spend on something like this has the means to do so without having to compromise on other things.
The world is full of people who used to be rich and no longer are because of excessive purchases of stuff like that.

The world is full of people who used to be rich and no longer are because of excessive purchases of stuff like that.
True. I had a friend who I always said "Too much money would never be enough" for him.

Sure, but it's never a "single thing" that drops them in the lake, its an aspect of overall behavior that works against them.

Your referring to the "curse of the lottery" basically. Some people whom dont understand putting money away for savings if given large amounts of money blow it all on gaudy nonsense.

People who put "Rims" on everything and buy 70"+ TV's.. Any people who live outside thier means. Capitalism has created and runs on these fools. Strangely so many Russians I have known fall into this category as well. Always looking down on Americans but behaving exactly the same way in many cases.. Ahh Conjecture.....

I grew up poor and have no sympathy for these people.

Are we going over this again?
People who are paying big bucks for the Apple I are not necessarily in this hobby like the rest of us. They see it as a stepping stone for a multibillion dollar company, which I guess you could say the same for IBM's meat slicers scales and timeclocks but no, this has Steve Jobs all over it which is ironic because of how often Woz gets put in the shade.
Your buyers are museums who are not necessarily seeing it as an investment as more than said stepping stone and its an instant exhibit, or wealthy software developers and business executives who see it as the same but wish to put it in their private collection, where the system is on paper worth more than its weight in gold as a solid asset.

Option 3 are those mentally insane folk who buy things to get off at it being destroyed, or insist they won't put it on display at VCF: West unless armed security is present.

I remember reading about it. It was supposed to be a big Apple 1 exibit and they stressed they were going to have security on hand to encourage more Apple-1 owners to come with thier equipment. But I dont ever remember if that whole exitbit happened or not. I didnt hear a thing again after that. That was pre-pandemic wasnt it?

VCF: West 2019. ISTR someone on here said "The museum already has active 24 hour security and countless more valuable artifacts and *this* is what you want additional security for??"

Last edited:
Honestly I like everyone have said it before; Id love to own one but they dont do anything. I used to feel that way about the commodore PET, but now with recent advances the PET is completely usable. The PET is a REAL computer as opposed to the Apple 1. The PET should be in the spot light more often. And not just the PET, but ALL the other machines in the 70's that made the Micro computer revolution happen. My Wang 700 noteworthy! Why wont any of you talk about my Wang?!

It was a low-cost SBC system with fairly limited capabilities. At that time you had products like the KIM-1, ELF, Digital Group, the AIM-65, (albeit a bit later) and countless other small run systems in the mid-70's. I still bet $500 that if Woz had gone at building and selling it alone, it would be a footnote. Nobody has actually done anything with the hardware even in reproduction form in many many years. They are almost exclusively display pieces.
I asked people about "what other software besides an ASCII photo of woz, an ASCII photo of Jobs and an ASCII photo of the Apple logo existed" and I think at best I could only come up with two other programs.

It was a low-cost SBC system with fairly limited capabilities. At that time you had products like the KIM-1, ELF, Digital Group, the AIM-65, (albeit a bit later) and countless other small run systems in the mid-70's. I still bet $500 that if Woz had gone at building and selling it alone, it would be a footnote. Nobody has actually done anything with the hardware even in reproduction form in many many years. They are almost exclusively display pieces.
I asked people about "what other software besides an ASCII photo of woz, an ASCII photo of Jobs and an ASCII photo of the Apple logo existed" and I think at best I could only come up with two other programs.
The Apple I may not be very pragmatic but it was one of several steps in the evolution of computers. It was a learning tool, something (like the KIM-1) that familiarized a small group of people with an interest in computing. How many went on to use this knowledge? I have no idea. Even if no one did I think it demonstrated the possibilities of modern computing. It did so in a similar way as the Mac 128. Essentially useless even for its day. But it demonstrated what possibilities exist.

Recently I purchased an Apple ][ Plus computer. Compared to todays computers it, like the Apple I, is essentially useless outside of learning what a computer is, how it functions, and what, with a little ingenuity, can be done with them. I even passed on the Apple ][e because I wanted the original computer > I < started with. If it wasn't for that initial Apple ][ Plus I don't know where I'd be today. I suspect the Apple I did the same during its heyday.

the apple ii (ii plus in your case) is far from useless even today. it has a software library of tens of thousands of programs and games. All those programs still do what they were designed to do. Spreadsheets, word processing, data transfer, book keeping.. you name it.. it still performs those tasks today.. the apple 1 doesnt do much of anything.

Back