• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Introduction

VintageUser

Hi All,
I have over 60 machines among which are Apple ][+. //e, //c, //gs (the + and e run CP/M!); Dynabyte DB2; Ampro "Shoebox"; NorthStar Advantage; 2 Imsai 8080s; Kaypro 2, 4 and {qty 3} 10s (with 10Mb HDDs); DEC PDP-8/e and /a with 8" RX01s and 02s, RK05Js and an F; PDP-11/23 and {qty 2} /73s, a /34 and an /84; 3 MicroVAX IIs with TU80 and TS11 9" tape drives; Sun SparcIPX and a Sparcstation 4; 3 AT&T Unix PCs (2 7300s and a 3b1); PCs from 486 (dumped my 8088s and 80286s recently! I still have a couple of 386s running Minix) to P4s all networked to the Suns and Unix PCs and each other. Keeps me busy! Unfortunately, I forgotton a few in there somewhere! [sigh]
My first machine was a Sinclair ZX-80 with a whopping 2K DRAM (1K user memory!) - shortly thereafter (about 2 months) I bought my Apple ][+ - both in 1981, just out of high school.
My job is Digital Electronics Repair for the State Univ of NY in Buffalo. I see all kinds of stuff come through here (It's where I got some of my stuff! ) :)
Cheers!

Welcome!

Welcome!

Welcome to the V C Forum!

I've always wondered who amongst the collecting community had an "in" type job to help build their collections.

I suspect working for a recycler or charitable organization might also work for building a collection.

Enjoy the forums!

Erik

Re: Welcome!

"Erik" wrote in message:

<greetings snipped!> :)

> I've always wondered who amongst the collecting
> community had an "in" type job to help build their
> collections.

> I suspect working for a recycler or charitable
> organization might also work for building a
> collection.

Yes, I could have collected a couple of computers
while working (voluntarily) for a organization. The
main focus was sending books overseas islands in
the Pacific to the schools, however occasionally we
got the odd computer here & there as well. Amost
the machines were a few ol' IBM PC/XT & AT class
machines (plus a couple of 386s). We got a whole
load of Apple IIes (I should have grabbed one
myself), but dare I say think they are pretty
common! And an Amstrad PCW (can't remember
which one it was though) that also went. Naturally
at the time I just felt that if I'd picked up every
computer which came along, I'd be sending the
wrong messages about myself.

Cheers.

Erik said:

"I've always wondered who amongst the collecting community had an "in" type job to help build their collections."

This might be a great new category! I'm always looking for new places to find stuff. I've found a few lists online of surplus places, but they never seem to be many on the East coast. I know people are secretive and guard thier sources, but.....
I find most of my stuff at work. I work in a small repair shop for peecee's and people are always trying to sell anything that says "computer" on it. Now that our city doesn't dispose of them for free-we get lots more (more than we want- I had to move a laser128 and Xerox 8086 away from the door so I could open the store the other day- people just leave them in front of the door now) Another place I go to is a local 'Polaroid' outlet in Taunton, MA. It sells old stuff cheap. I got a few Sun IPX's the other day for $1 each and they had a few 8088's for a buck each. It changes all the time and things get scrapped if they don't sell quickly.

Back