• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IRC chat: #vc on slashnet.org

ahm

Staff member
We've got an IRC channel for realtime chat about vintage computers.
You can usually find someone on the channel anytime.

To connect, you'll need an IRC client and the following information:

Server: irc.slashnet.org
Channel: #vc
Nickname: Please use your forum username!

See you there!
Andy

Just a reminder - we are still using IRC for group chat. There are usually a few regulars signed in, and it would be great to meet more of you there.

A lot of programs have IRC capability. Some of my favorites include:

• mIRC - full featured Windows client
  • XChat - available for Linux
  • Pidgin - this instant messaging client supports IRC in addition to standard IM protocols. Open source and available for Windows and Linux
  • IRCjr - talk about vintage hardware while on vintage hardware! Runs very well on 8088 class machines with limited memory. Requires DOS, either on a real machine or in an emulator.
  • LeetIRC - another client for vintage machines! Runs on 8088 class machines, written in QuickBasic

Come drop in and say hello! If you need help getting setup with IRC we'd be happy to get you started.

Mike

Bump ..

Bump ..

The IRC channel is still around! Interested in talking about vintage computers in realtime? Sign on!

The regulars include Ahm, Jorg, Carlsson, Discomeats and a few others you will readily recognize.

Mike

Thanks to Mike's reminder, the number of participants has increased by 30-50% in the last few days. There is still room for more. Today (European time) we even managed to stay remarkably on-topic for over 3,5 hours. :-D

C'mon everybody! It's CHAT! About VINTAGE COMPUTERS! The words are few and far in between, could use some more people in there! Let's go! :D

Bumpitty bump bump!

Hey guys! Don't forget about the IRC room! We have lots of fun talking about anything from Airplanes to Zoo's with the occasional computer talk thrown in!

Grab an IRC client and come talk to us at /server irc.slashnet.org on /join #vc ! :D

Last edited:
By the way, for those of you with (non-vintage) Macs, the Adium 1.4 beta also includes native IRC support, which seems to work nicely so far (at least for me) :). For Adium 1.3, you'll still need an add-on.

Depends on the time of day you log on, I found a lot of our euro users were logged in but inactive by the time I showed up but certainly had some great conversations with the few who were idling till the window starting flashing :)

Just an update, works for me, people are still actively replying. I was testing IRSSI scripting from a headless Raspberry Pi yesterday.

Back