• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IRC chat: #vc on slashnet.org

There are about 30 people on at the moment, many of them lurkers. I usually see no more than 5 to 10 people active, which is far more than you need to be utterly confused by the multiple conversations going on ...

pmirc.jpgThought I'd slap this screen shot up for the hell of it. One of the more entertaining sessions. Using OS/2 v3 on my DECpc 486 running PMIRC 1.2 Screen shot taken using Embellishs native screen capture tool.

Lets see other members screen shots.

The z180PC hooked up to my main Linux box using a null modem cable using ircII. Banana Com is the Dos comms package I used and works really well :

Attachments

• IMAG0199.jpg
    IMAG0199.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Before anybody starts freaking out ...

We've been getting a lot of connect/reconnect spam over at #vc on slashnet.org . After trying to warn people I've taken to just banning their nick temporarily. Hopefully the affected people will debug, see that they have been banned, connect with a new nick and see the topic (or this message) and then fix their connect/reconnect problem.

Again, these bans are temporary just to get your attention to fix the problem. Sign in temporarily with a different nick if you need debug help.

Slightly off topic but #pcjr is active over on slashnet.org right now! (A PCjr is not required ...)

We'll be there for a few hours. (6pm to 10pm PST was the rough time window.)

I like me some vintage computer chat, whats the current status, cause its a ghost town right now

It seems to be more active during the week, I assume people are off doing things on the weekend. I'm on through most of the EST workday, though not always immediately responsive (work!)

13:06:15 weechat | irc: server irc.slashnet.org created (temporary server, NOT
| SAVED!)
13:06:15 irc.slashnet.org -- | irc: connecting to server irc.slashnet.org/6667...
13:06:33 irc.slashnet.org =!= | irc: address "irc.slashnet.org" not found
13:06:33 irc.slashnet.org =!= | irc: error: Name or service not known

Using my phones wifi

13:08 -!- Irssi: Looking up irc.slashnet.org
13:08 -!- Irssi: Unable to connect server irc.slashnet.org port 6667 [Temporary
failure in name resolution]

Using my phones wifi

13:08 -!- Irssi: Looking up irc.slashnet.org
13:08 -!- Irssi: Unable to connect server irc.slashnet.org port 6667 [Temporary
failure in name resolution]

I have something similar:

23032680_10210845054226578_8640697669167481391_n.jpg

Perhaps they're having DNS issues. Seems I can't `dig` irc.slashnet.org or any of the usual distributed hosts.

Logged in the other day and there were only me and an OP in the #vc channel. That have never happened before. So what's going on, have everyone moved to some other server or something?

It says there are 36 people in the channel right now, mind you at any time only five are not idling.
Perhaps you connected to a server that was in a netsplit?

There was definitely a netsplit yesterday ... I think that spaniels.slashnet.org was isolated, so if you hit that server you get just that one lonely user.

The load balancing is done using DNS. Just disconnect and try again until you get to a server that is not isolated/siloed.

Mike

Thanks, netsplit was a new thing to me - never heard of that before. Conected again this evening and the channel had more or less the usual crowd!

I'm not because glitch had a meltdown lol. Talk about control freak.

Try ##win31 on irc.libera.chat or #retrodreams on irc.slashnet.org. instead.

Last edited:
Back