• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IRC Chat?

80sFreak

Experienced Member
Has anybody thought of (or has it already been discussed?) of having an IRC chat once a week (or month) at a set time where we talk about vintage computers (or wherever the chat may lead)?

Sometimes I think some of the threads on here may be better suited to real-time chat... And it could be fun! :) Plus the chat may start some new threads that otherwise wouldn't have happened...

Just a thought......

Cheers,

80sFreak

you know, i run an IRC server full time it was for another website but nobodys logged on for like 5 months lol.

i'd gladly rededicate it to the official Vintage Computer Forums site if there is interest. i host it on my pentium 3 / 650 mhz(overclocked to 910 WOOT) linux box (debian 3.1)

True, but the #c64friends starts at 9PM EST Saturday nights and it gets about 10-20+ people, lasting till 'bout midnight..

Cheers,

80sFreak

Yep, those slower speed coppermines overclock well. Not so with the 1.0Ghz and the 1.13Ghz. I got tired of trying to OC the fast ones and put them back to the official speeds. Too unstable.

you know, i run an IRC server full time it was for another website but nobodys logged on for like 5 months lol.

That sucks.. :( What was it about?

i'd gladly rededicate it to the official Vintage Computer Forums site if there is interest. i host it on my pentium 3 / 650 mhz(overclocked to 910 WOOT) linux box (debian 3.1)

Then we just need to set the day and time and then see what happens... !

Cheers,

80sFreak

That sucks.. :( What was it about?

to be honest, i'm not entirely sure lol... just some kind of general place to chat i guess. a buddy of mine asked if i could do that, and since i already ran my linux box full time to host files on my LAN i figured it wouldnt hurt to install ircdhybrid (or hybridircd or whatever it is.. i forget) and the services package for it.

Then we just need to set the day and time and then see what happens... !

well, no need for that really... we could always just leave it open 24/7 for hanging out/chatting about vintage comps/idling whenever people feel like dropping in. :)

Yep, those slower speed coppermines overclock well. Not so with the 1.0Ghz and the 1.13Ghz. I got tired of trying to OC the fast ones and put them back to the official speeds. Too unstable.

yeah, back in like 2000 when i got it, my friend and i always competed with each other buying computers... (we still kind of do)

he had just gotten a pentium 3 / 833 MHz(i think it was 833) when i had just gotten that 650 MHz pentium 3 to out-do me. so i decided to tweak the clocking and figured out it ran totally stable at 910 lol.

he tried overclocking his to beat mine, but he couldnt even get it to be totally stable at 866.

if it is at all possible to pronounce an emoticon, i'm pretty sure i heard him say ": ("

well, no need for that really... we could always just leave it open 24/7 for hanging out/chatting about vintage comps/idling whenever people feel like dropping in. :)

But if you have a set date/time then we would probably get more people then if it were just chat whenever... It is not like there is a whole lot of us!

Cheers,

80sFreak

This was discussed a really long time ago. I ran a chat room at one point, but I think me and mbbrutman were the only ones to ever use it. Its a cool idea, but I no longer run my own server. I'd like to see one comeback....

-VK

But if you have a set date/time then we would probably get more people then if it were just chat whenever... It is not like there is a whole lot of us!

Cheers,

80sFreak

that's a good point actually. well, how should we go about finding a good time then? i wonder where most people here are located... USA times zones, western europe, eastern europe, asia, japan, etc...

hmmm, this could be difficult.

okay, well i've got the server all ready if anybody wants to log on.

hostname is retrobox.scieron.com port 6667

the channel to join is #vc

i guess we can go from here :)

I missed a vintage computing IRC chat? darn... hopefully there will be a set time so I could be able to chat to some of you guys without it being full of lurkers

Well, that was freaking awesome! Hope to log on regularly...

yeah that was fun, and i'm sure there will be more of us next time too. maybe erik can find the average most active time of the day for forum usage so we can schedule something. erik you there? :)

I don't have the resolution on my board statistics/logs to determine what times of the day are the most popular.

The website ones might apply, but then they might not. :)

I'd suggest picking a time that is convenient for most of the timezones served by the boards and doing the chat regularly so people get used to when it is. . .

Back