• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is Hantek DSO5102P Oscilloscope good for hobbyist?

Muttley Black

Experienced Member
Hello all.

i am hobbyist at electronics and i want to buy an Oscilloscope. I never had one before and i want to make a gift to my self. :)
Is Hantek DSO5102P a good choice for beginner?

Thank you

I was in the same boat earlier this year and I finally went with a Rigol DS1054z. Mine came with all the options unlocked (If not, there's a website to generate all the codes), so it's quad channel 100mhz , 1GSa/s, can do serial, spi and i2c decoding, and has ethernet. Just a lot more scope for not much more money.

Same here--I wanted a DSO to supplement my old Tek scope (still prefer that for a lot of things). The Rigol 4-channel scope is a pretty good deal.

Siglent also makes a decent unit.

I have the 70MHz Hantek. Supposedly you can convert it to 200 MHz by removing two capacitors and flashing the firmware.

It's alright, but I still use my B&K 1510 or Eico 460 whenever I can. They are far more interesting. But a DSO is a good thing to have.

I'd like to get an older DSO that uses a CRT.

Don't know about the current product offerings, but for anecdotal value I've had a DSO-2090 for 10+ years. Often had it hanging off my Pentium M laptop with scope probes running under the dash/hood of a car. Right now it's connected to my FPGA dev board.

Back