• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is it about time for later Pentiums to be considered vintage?

Nothing wrong with a p4 for some vintage gaming either. Crap, be an ok NAS box upgraded. I ran Naslite+ for years on a p3 then p4 and was happy. Also a good tweener for transferring files, creating floppies etc. Most still supported a 1.2mb or 360kb 5.25. Some p4 motherboards even had an isa slot or 2! Plus with PCI lots of easy upgrades, aka USB2 / SATA / SAS. Aren't totally useless. Wouldn't want to daily one though!

My favorite P4 system has 2 ISA slots and two gigabit ethernet ports on board. Even has a socket for a CF card on the motherboard (don't use it). It's rack-mounted and attached to a 1/2" tape drive. Floppy controller has support for 2 drives and understands FM. Disk is a 500 GB SATA drive accessed through a SATA-PATA adapter. Currently has Win98SE, Win7 and Debian Bullseye installed.

Why would I want to scrap it? And what could take its place?

What was the final result of that recent poll? 2 to 1 for inclusion of later Pentium class systems here at vcfed last time I saw it...

What about just single cored single threaded CPUs? Of course that'll rule old some oldies as well. Oh well you can't winnimall I suppose

P4_3_4ghz_HT.pngThis system works well on the "modern internet". Over 20 pinned tabs in Firefox-ESR version 100. I don't really know what all the fuss is about....
;)

Last edited:
Back