• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is the VCwiki abandoned?

Dms12444

Experienced Member
Ive been doing a lot of work on the Vintage Computer wiki lately. Looking at the recent changes, it doesn't look like a lot has been going on. Is our wiki site abandoned?

No .. there has been recent activity on it by myself and a few others.

But it could use a lot more.

The fact is that the activity on the Wiki never has been too high. When it has been referenced in the forums, the activity tend to increase for a while.

If just people outside the forums would start to contribute to the wiki too...

Do we really want people from outside the forums participating? I don't ... I much rather trust the regular members here to do that job. If we won't do it, why would we expect non-members to? Do we want to replicate the not-so-great public Wiki experience all over again?

Do we really want people from outside the forums participating? I don't ... I much rather trust the regular members here to do that job. If we won't do it, why would we expect non-members to? Do we want to replicate the not-so-great public Wiki experience all over again?

I haven't seen too many non-forum members on the Wiki site. And as for the public wiki-experience, that is why I'm somewhat sad that the Nu-pedia project was canceled. Nu-pedia was the precursor to Wikipedia, but most people didn't like it because to post there your post would have to go through a rigorous approval process to confirm it's accuracy. The people that created Nu-pedia however shut it down and it was quickly replaced by Wikipedia.

I will be continuing my work on the Wiki-site though. Who knows, it may turn into a very useful resource someday (not that it isn't already).

We probably don't have a lot of outsiders posting, and that is not what I was implying. I was specifically responding to Per's statement:

If just people outside the forums would start to contribute to the wiki too...

My point is that we need to encourage our own members to build our Wiki. Presumably we know the topic matter better, and some members will probably assume the mantle of 'editor' to keep things consistent and clean. Anarchy doesn't work, but it can't be totally freeform either.

I'm going to keep adding content too .. especially now that the public Wiki is deleting articles related to our hobby due to lack of interest or citations.

Back