• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is there a way of connecting my Macintosh classic to an external display

Bob101

Hi I have had a Macintosh classic for a bit now and I was wondering if there is a way to connect to a bigger external display. I have done some research and have found out there was a device to do such thing called a scuzzygraph or scuzzyview but I can’t find any for sale so I was wondering does anyone have one they would be willing to sell or know any other way of connecting to an external monitor.

I have not see any modern versions of adapters that sat between the logic board and the analog board but at one time they did exist for external monitor/projection panel options. The bigger issue is that the mac uses a relatively nonstandard resolution and refresh rate so tapping into the video output to the analog makes most scan converters unhappy. Adrian covered this last year but I have never looked too far into it.

The video of classic black & white Macs runs at a scan rate of 22.25 kHz horizontal and 60 Hz vertical. That's fine for multisync monitors, and probably close enough that you could get it to display on an EGA monitor (21.8 kHz), but too low for VGA monitors which won't display anything below 31.5 kHz.

but too low for VGA monitors which won't display anything below 31.5 kHz.
Well, actually lots of VGA monitors starting from the late 90s can go down to 24 kHz. You'll find many LCD ones even doing 15 kHz without telling in the manual.

In the Amiga community you can find lists of such monitors. They should have no issue displaying the signal from a Classic.

Back