• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is there any internet service for tandy deskmate or dos 3.3

Internet service, hmm... Only what you provide through creativity. I would get an ethernet card, network it via a hub or router to your another machine, and set up an Opera browser. it'll be pretty basic, but it'll be online. Remember, that machine wasn't meant to be very graphical(like the net is these days). I have a 1000SL and DOS Shell. I might be able to do something like this, gotta get other stuff worked out first. The 2500SX also. Tandy's are neat.

But specifically for the 1000, I don't think so. But that never stopped anybody before :) Though others may be able to answer better.

Nathan

I have a Tandy 100O TL and am wondering if any internet service exists for this computer

Not for Deskmate, but you can always run ftp and telnet clients, DOS-based text-only web browser, IRC... You would need to find a network card, though.

You can also do it over SL/IP or PPP but the results are somewhat disappointing if you're used to today's internet.

Another option would be to find a local ISP that provides dial-up service AND a Unix shell account.

I accessed the internet for two years this way, using ProComm+ for Windows (3.11) to dial in to a local Unix account (386BSD, I think), and then used the normal Unix network tools (telnet, Pine, Lynx, finger, etc...).

Yep, concentric networks did that LONG ago. It was fun and I got my first exposure to the Unix environment.

Back