• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is this a counterfit IBM 5150 board?

VERAULT

Veteran Member
So I have been working on repairing a bunch of 5150 and 5160 machines. I had a few boards I needed to wash. One of them came out of the wash and changed... I have never seen a board change color when washed. This one looks now like its been in the back windows of a car for a few years with white bleaching all uneven. I am wonderings if its not a real IBM board.

Again, I have washed alot of boards. This has never happened before. The other boards I washed that day came out as brand new.. As all the other boards do when washed.

This board had a couple bad tantalums and once replaced works just fine now.

Take a look and let me know what you think

Funny thing is it didnt look this way before washing it. IT has a muted look but it only turned whitish on some areas after the wash. You think this board was outside of a chassis in direct sunlight for a while?

The only 5150 clone I have seen is the MTM kit. I don't think there was really a demand back in the day due to the slot spacing requiring a genuine 5150 case.

Thanks. I wasnt sure. ITs going to go right back into the 5150 chassis it came from I just was puzzled by the opaque blotchiness.

We wash boards here at work. Not unusual for those that have been in service for a long while to do the same thing. UV, age, whatever---it's not really uncommon.

Glad to hear it. Its just the first time I have seen it happen. I have nevsr had any issues washing boards. This time it was an immediate change so it had me question it.

Don’t beat me up for this but just thinking how much better it would look if it was clear coated. I don’t think it would hurt the functionality if basic masking was used on items like the DIP switch and ISA slots. I’ve seen boards with finishes that shine and wondered if something was applied to them.

I've had this happen on a few cards before, usually cheaper brand 8/16 bit soundcards and modems, but never a motherboard. Excessive heat and humidity can cause the solder resist to debond and turn to powder/dust. Weird to see it happen to an IBM branded product nonetheless.

Don’t beat me up for this but just thinking how much better it would look if it was clear coated. I don’t think it would hurt the functionality if basic masking was used on items like the DIP switch and ISA slots. I’ve seen boards with finishes that shine and wondered if something was applied to them.
I wont beat you up. but honestly Im just going to leave it as is. Its not pretty but it works.

The only logical reason to clearcoat or conformal-coat a board is the environment it's going to be used in. If you're putting something in a high-humidity environment, or where corrosive fumes are present (the main reasons for government/military compliance), then yes, it'd be appropriate. Otherwise, you may inhibit the ability to effectively radiate heat away from the components (especially if using silicone conformal-coat), especially if the job isn't done properly. Some industrial PC's may have had boards/components coated, but the reasons should be obvious.

I wasn’t referring to any of the conformal coatings used for environmental protection, instead seeking a way to enhance the aesthetics of that board. It’s like day and night after it’s applied, really enhancing the colours and contrast. Also, you can solder thru acrylics if rework is ever required. As for concerns regarding thermals, I can’t see any issues with these stock boards if it’s applied conservatively.

OP isn't going to frame it. It's going back in the case where nobody will see it...

Back