• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is this a good price for apple iic plus with the monitor?

Dawgchyper91

A guy emailed me in regarding towards my ad how I was looking for older computers. He has an apple iic plus with the monitor that came with it. He said it starts up, but I believe he doesnt have the disks for it. He sent me pictures of it, and looks very clean. No yellowing on either monior or computer. He is also throwing in a packard bell PB 500, but doesnt work. He is asking for 150 dollars. Is that a pretty reasonable deal? I have seen and read some posts online that apple iic plus's are pretty collectable. Any input on this would be very much appreciated! Thank you

Clint

I have an Apple IIc with the 5.25" drive, great shape, no yellowing, but no monitor. The IIc Plus has it's PS built-in and a 3.5" drive, plus a faster processor. I like my IIc just fine but of course a Plus would be nicer. If I didn't have my IIc and was looking at that Plus you're interested in, personally, I'd only give half what's being asked. $75. would be my tops, even with the little monitor. It really depends on whether your willing to shop around awhile, but I'd say he's asking double what it's worth. But that's just me. Let's see what others here think.

A guy emailed me in regarding towards my ad how I was looking for older computers. He has an apple iic plus with the monitor that came with it. He said it starts up, but I believe he doesnt have the disks for it.
The disks are easy enough to reproduce. No problem there.

He sent me pictures of it, and looks very clean. No yellowing on either monior or computer.
I really like the IIc+. The keyboard doesn't feel like mush the way the IIc does. The only problem with them is that you have to plug in a 5-1/4" drive! Almost no software was produced on 3-1/2" disks for the non-GS Apple II line.

He is asking for 150 dollars. Is that a pretty reasonable deal? I have seen and read some posts online that apple iic plus's are pretty collectable. Any input on this would be very much appreciated!
Is it really the monitor that came with it... or is it the smaller IIc monitor? Does it come with a stand? Is it like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160488920324

Hey David,

It does come with the apple ii c monitor not the standard one. The only problem is I dont know if it comes with the stand or not that came with those computers. If he doesnt have it, should it be a safe buy? I dont even know if I can find the stand that came with it. Yeah I will definately have to buy an external drive, which shouldnt be an issue, I normally see them on ebay for reasonable prices.

I really appreciate your input Vint! I may purchase it later maybe haggle the price down, but normally I see some of these plus's once in awhile. I did however see the exact same thing with the manuals and the disks and people were bidding on that thing at 438.00 with 15 bids on ebay 2 days ago. I dont know what made it go up in price!? The only thing this doesnt have are the manuals or disks.

It does come with the apple ii c monitor not the standard one. The only problem is I dont know if it comes with the stand or not that came with those computers.
The IIc monitor and stand tended to be more common than the IIc+ one, so this is sounding like not such a good deal after all. The IIc+ stand in particular seems to be a sought-after item.

If he doesnt have it, should it be a safe buy? I dont even know if I can find the stand that came with it. Yeah I will definately have to buy an external drive, which shouldnt be an issue, I normally see them on ebay for reasonable prices.
I try to find IIc+ machines for $50 or so, but getting really clean ones are tough at that price point. I think I'm with Vint, hold out for something less than $150...

Yeah the thing is, I dont know if he has the stand or not? If he does, what should I haggle down to. 100? And if he doesnt have the stand what price should I offer around 75-100? Thanks guys :)

I really appreciate your input Vint! I may purchase it later maybe haggle the price down, but normally I see some of these plus's once in awhile. I did however see the exact same thing with the manuals and the disks and people were bidding on that thing at 438.00 with 15 bids on ebay 2 days ago. I dont know what made it go up in price!? The only thing this doesnt have are the manuals or disks.

I think I found the IIC+ you were referring to on eBay, Item # 160488920324 The final win price was $475. after 49 bids, mostly by just 2 bidders. This may have been one of those "You can't outbid me!" type of auctions, (a bidding war). This particular IIC+ had 'zip chip technology' acceleration, which may or may not be the reason for the exceptional bids. Doesn't really reflect the worth of a regular IIC+, so you might want to discount that particular auction. I don't see any recently finished IIC+ auctions on eBay, which would give you a reasonable price range to go by. For 'somewhat' of a reference, here is a IIC unit on eBay that ends today. Item # 230537248533 which includes a monitor, stand, and some extras. Might help with evaluating your IIC+ purchase.
For reference I just found a IIC+ that 'did' sell earlier this month on eBay. Just the computer itself and power cord, for $83. Item # 140459753009

Last edited:
I think I found the IIC+ you were referring to on eBay, Item # 160488920324 The final win price was $475. after 49 bids, mostly by just 2 bidders. This may have been one of those "You can't outbid me!" type of auctions, (a bidding war). This particular IIC+ had 'zip chip technology' acceleration, which may or may not be the reason for the exceptional bids. Doesn't really reflect the worth of a regular IIC+, so you might want to discount that particular auction. I don't see any recently finished IIC+ auctions on eBay, which would give you a reasonable price range to go by. For 'somewhat' of a reference, here is a IIC unit on eBay that ends today. Item # 230537248533 which includes a monitor, stand, and some extras. Might help with evaluating your IIC+ purchase.
For reference I just found a IIC+ that 'did' sell earlier this month on eBay. Just the computer itself and power cord, for $83. Item # 140459753009

Every Apple IIc+ had "zip acceleration technology" built in. When Apple designed the IIc+ they licensed the Zip Chip from Zip Technologies to put into the IIc+. That was one of the three changes to the design that made the IIc+ such an improvement over the original IIc.

I really like to either pick up a IIc+ some day or eventually be able to add an accelerator and 3.5 drive to my IIc.

Dean

I'll add my 2 cents since I sell these systems on eBay and in my webstore and Bonanza booth.

The price paid is a factor of many variables. First & foremost, how many are available at the time of sale? When the market it flooded, the prices go down. When there is only 1 available, the price can go as high as whatever someone is willing to pay for it. That's the bottom line: an item is worth whatever someone is willing to spend for it. To me, I wouldn't give you $50.00 for the Mona Lisa, but that's just me.

When you're shopping on one of the auction sites, its all too easy to get into a bidding war so you need to be careful.

Other factors that determine the price: How clean is the system? Has it been tested? What condition is it in? Will you have to make repairs (which add to the final cost)? If it doesn't work when you get it, are you going to loose any money or can you return it for a FULL refund? What items from the original retail package are included and what is their condition?

If the system you're buying has not been cleaned thoroughly, you may be bringing rat feces & urine, dead fleshy bits of all sorts, odors, and general filth into your home. Think about all the biological agents and toxic chemicals that could be in/on your cheap system, especially if the system came from a recycler or storage facility. Even some folks' homes are disgustingly filthy.

If you purchase a cheap system and then find you have to fix it, you might wind up spending more (a lot more) for parts to get it up to snuff. I've known folks who got a dirt cheap system and, by the time they were finished buying all the replacement parts, the darn thing cost them more than they could have gotten right from the start... and saved themselves all that time to boot!

If you buy something on eBay and its not as described, you will most likely loose money, even if the seller is willing to take it back for a refund. Most sellers don't refund the cost of shipping it to you in the first place, so you will loose that money plus the cost of shipping the crap back to them. Depending on the item, it can be an expensive proposition.

There are a LOT of good buys to be had on eBay and elsewhere on line, but there are also a lot more bombs to be had. From personal experience, if you see an ad that says "AS IS", "UNTESTED", "UNKNOWN WORKING CONDITION" and the like, chances are it does NOT work. There are an awful lot of dishonest sellers who know their system does not work properly but will claim it is "untested" so that they can sell a non-working unit. If you buy anything with any of those types of disqualifiers, then assume the item is NOT working and if you get it and it is working, you're pleasantly surprised and happy with your purchase.

Finally, if you're a true collector, you're looking at the overall condition of the system AND whether or not it comes in the retail packaging (and if so, it's condition) and comes with ALL of the original retail contents, such as paperwork, cables, etc. (and their condition). Just look at the video online of the fellow from NY who recently spent $2600 for an Apple IIc in the original retail box (supposedly a NEW IN BOX system) and others who spent what may very well be considered an extravagent amount of money here in this Forum.

Bottom line is, an item is worth what YOU are willing to pay for it, and what you are willing to pay for it will depend upon which variables you consider important. If you're simply a retrocomputerist who wants to collect one of each and have them in working condition, you can get by for a lot less cash than a vintage collector, especially if you're willing to spend time thoroughly cleaning the components and making necessary repairs.

Quite a bit of the untested stuff on ebay are for machines that do not have the standard port connectors people are used to (VGA for example) and are listed for prices that are not worth the sellers time and effort to check to see if they do work (by finding vintage monitors to test them). Some kid offers to ebay their parents old computer equipment for example not knowing if it works or how to test it. You also have the same issues with scrappers who just sell in bulk and have no time or ability to test.

What you have to look out for are sellers who specialize in selling specific era equipment that would have the ability to test but do not because the item has known issues. Stick with casual sellers or scrappers and you will find most of the stuff works as is or with a little tinkering (or it would have been trashed ages ago).

I have a brand-new (I took it out of the box/styrofoam myself - still have them but the box is holding other things atm) Apple IIc monitor that I'll sell. Looks like the one in the eBay that Andrew linked, but that page won't stay open since the bidding has ended, so I can't be sure.

I have a brand-new (I took it out of the box/styrofoam myself - still have them but the box is holding other things atm) Apple IIc monitor that I'll sell. Looks like the one in the eBay that Andrew linked, but that page won't stay open since the bidding has ended, so I can't be sure.

Raven, I forget, did you also have the stand for it?

Quite a bit of the untested stuff on ebay are for machines that do not have the standard port connectors people are used to (VGA for example) and are listed for prices that are not worth the sellers time and effort to check to see if they do work (by finding vintage monitors to test them). Some kid offers to ebay their parents old computer equipment for example not knowing if it works or how to test it. You also have the same issues with scrappers who just sell in bulk and have no time or ability to test.

What you have to look out for are sellers who specialize in selling specific era equipment that would have the ability to test but do not because the item has known issues. Stick with casual sellers or scrappers and you will find most of the stuff works as is or with a little tinkering (or it would have been trashed ages ago).

I'm with you. I'm always weary of sellers who, by virtue of what they generally specialize in selling, should have the ability to test an item but claim they have "no way to test"... Those are usually the auctions that end up in disappointment.

The best eBay surprises (positive ones) have come from untested items from sellers that usually sell unrelated items (e.g. that old lady with an eBay books/magazines store front who comes across her late husband's Apple II collection sitting in the attic since 1995). Completely hypothetical, of course...

The best eBay surprises (positive ones) have come from untested items from sellers that usually sell unrelated items (e.g. that old lady with an eBay books/magazines store front who comes across her late husband's Apple II collection sitting in the attic since 1995). Completely hypothetical, of course...

I do quite a lot of buying on eBay, and my experience has been that for every gem you get that way, you get a half dozen or more zircons - units that are filthy, desperately need repair and/or don't work at all, or are of such poor cosmetic condition that their value is less than what you paid for it.

That's how I wound up with so many "parts machines" I don't know what to do with them all!

Bloody hell!!!! Must resist temptation to sell! (I wonder what I could get for an original IIc now?)

That was for a IIc PLUS system (with 3.5 internal drive), not the original IIc (with 5.25 drive).

If you had the foresight to keep the original retail boxes, manuals, disks, etc., in pristine condition, you can get a small fortune from a serious collector... or from a bidding war between two geeks. :) Most of the folks on eBay are bargain hunters.

I have a IIc+ as well. My floppy drive even works. :-D (It does have some top-case cracking, but a little super glue made that disappear, I did have to bend the metal floppy cage back into shape, and replace the floppy drive, though.)

Back